Unity

Feeding Regiment

What foods do you feed your Bettas?

I feed them Omega One Pellets (often)
Aqueon Betta Pellets (once a week)
Tetra Tropical Flakes (often)
Freeze Dried Bloodworms (once a week)
Frozen Bloodworms (rarely)
Cooked, shelled Pea (every 2 months or so)

What do you feed? Anything I should add?
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #2 
lvandert

I have pellets (most of the time), flakes (once every week or so), frozen mosquito larva (about once a week), and frozen daphnia (once a month).

I would maybe drop the freeze dried blood worms to once a month, and bump your real once to once a week. Freeze dried are like mcdonalds french fries (not the burger, just the fries) there is some nutrition there but not much. The frozen ones are much more nutritious.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #3 
Unity

Thanks for the tip! I could loose them altogether I suppose but my little guys do really enjoy them!
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #4 
lvandert

well of course they love them, who doesn't like french fries?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #5 
LizzyP

Why are you feeding peas? Bettas are meat eaters, they can't digest vegetation well. Some argue peas are okay, some say not to feed them at all.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

No, peas are OK. As long as it's a small amount, their fine. It's recommended for Goldfish, though. Not Bettas. ;)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah just to be on the safe side I would not feed the peas.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #8 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
No, peas are OK. As long as it's a small amount, their fine. It's recommended for Goldfish, though. Not Bettas. ;)
But why would you feed them to them just because? That's like giving someone a low dosage of medication just because. And since they are recommended for goldfish, why would you give them to a betta to begin with? Just because they eat it, doesn't mean they should.

I wouldn't feed my betta peas just because, unless there is some serious problem like SBD then maybe. Everything to me sounds fine.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Wait, I don't feed my Betta peas. I was just stating the fact that they COULD eat a little bit. Eating too much can damage their digestive system as you know. It could benefit them by cleaning their system. There's a low chance of that though, but there has been cases of success.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Peas are fine/safe to use for treatment, however, no point to use them unless needed-If your Betta is having constipation problems or symptomatic bloat-It may be due to the food and that needs to be changed to prevent it.

Live foods offer the most nutrition, good quality pellets and flakes for the staple with your frozen and freeze dried fed on occasion to give a more varied diet.
Frozen is better than freeze dried, however, even the frozen can be poor nutrition due to the freezing/thawing process that burst the cell membranes since they are about 80% water.

You don't want to soak your foods either since that can leach the nutrients and water soluble vitamin-plus its not needed.....Its a myth that pellets swell in the stomach. Pellets do swell in water-but the Betta stomach contents are not water-its gastric acid/enzymes that soften and break the food down for absorption of the nutrients and passing of the waste solids.

Same with the Pea-it doesn't clog the Betta up or block anything-The enzymes/gastric acid soften it, however, due to the short GI tract the food passes before the nutrients are fully absorbed and why the Pea is not a good choice as part of the staple diet-but fine for short term treatment for constipation from the fiber content/roughage that helps get thing moving.

Betta get a lot more greens in their diet naturally from the gut of the food they eat and why when feeding live foods you want to gut load them first with highly nutritious foods....You are what you eat......

I feed lots of live mosquito larva and other aquatic critters that develop outside in my water barrels. My homemade food and when I wean my offspring to teach them how to eat processed food- I use mainly Ocean Nutrition community formula flake food, ON spirulina flakes, Hikari Micro wafers and OSI RTB (red tiny bits).
I don't feed Betta specific foods-but only because I have a lot to feed and I look at ingredients as the important factor-I like the first couple to be fish/seafood either whole or meal and try to avoid the one too high in grains/grain byproducts that can cause build up of pathogenic bacteria that produce gas with the end result of symptomatic bloat.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote