Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #11 
lelei

ok, so if it's reached 85, and he's ok, that is good, maybe cause it went down pretty quick, but 78-80 is the optimum temp for that size..my Sapphire's tank is about 82 on a reg now..but he is in a 3 gal..and he seems to be loving it, he opens his ventrals all the way, and our Sammy is in a 5 gal with about the same, I don't have a/c in our l/r..so it tends to raise the temp a lil --seems 80 would be ok, even for a 1 gal, but try not to go over that..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #12 
missketie

Yay! He's been swimming more energetically today than he was the last couple of days. I think he's finally getting used to his new home. I've only had him for 4 days.

I'm so glad to know that the bubbles are a good sign. I didn't know what it was the first time and I didn't know what to think of it.

I fed him pellets earlier and he doesn't swim away anymore so I think he's warming up to me. The first time, he would hide behind the plants and wait a while before eating. I also saw him poop and it is a dark brown. So I guess he's pretty healthy.

I don't know when I can get a bigger tank though, I'm gonna have to find a bigger space in my room. Right now he's in a shelf beside my TV so I can watch him during commercials. LOL. I hope he's okay in there for a few more weeks. And, I also have to get a heater and thermometer.

Thanks so much for all the info. I really appreciate it. And thanks to everyone who replied. :D
missketie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #13 
KevinPham123

Glad to help :)
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #14 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Hello and Welcome to the forum, and yes, I agree with the previous posts, it is very important for your betta to have ample swim room, they tend to look bored, and tired, because they are..if they have no room to swim, first and foremost, try to upgrade his tank size, and definately include a heater, they need a (heated pool) for optimum health, and a quality diet with a pellet specifically for bettas, thier nutritional needs are very important to ensure health and happiness. also If you haven't already it is best to get some real plants, and or silk plant combination, plastic is ok, as long as it passes the "Panty hose test" meaning to run a pair of pantyhose across the plants, if it snags the hose, it will rip your bettas fins..
Your betta sounds very pretty..Post some pix when you can..looking fowared to seeing your new family member.. and always remember to add your water conditioner, to the water when changing

..and no you only need a filter for a 5 gal and up size tank, even for a 5 I don't use one, but you could if you want to try.. if you upgrade to a 3-5 gal size an Air stone would be much better to provide the oxygen that will keep the water from getting stagnant, and slimy..:)
Hey, Is the slime in the water a good thing or bad thing. Just want to know. thanks
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #15 
katrina89

as for the one gallon... i think its fine as long as u monitor temp and are vigilant with water changes... i hve 2 bettas one in a 1.7g and one in a 5.5g and they both have the same energy level/ swim level.. the one in the bigger tank isnt zipping around acting like "omg thanks for the room" he usually just sleeps... as for the plakats and female bettas they swim faster and NEED more room than the ones with long fins so i think its ok for the halfmoons... others will disagree bec its harder to manage temp and its easy for the ammonia to build up... but like i said... if you keep up with water changes it could be fine... and keep in mind that even if the temp is ok now... it wont be for winter... i will prolly need to get a heater for winter ... right now my 5.5g is at 82 and my 1.7 is 78 degrees... My tank was at 85 degrees for a couple days and i think my betta preferred it haha
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #16 
lelei

General rule of thumb..is 1 gal of water per ea.inch of fish:)..so if hes small right now ok..but he will grow..so just keep that in mind..then when you can do yur upgrade..is a VT?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #17 
lelei

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPham123 View Post
Hey, Is the slime in the water a good thing or bad thing. Just want to know. thanks
Bad..it means water is dirty..and needs changing.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #18 
missketie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
General rule of thumb..is 1 gal of water per ea.inch of fish:)..so if hes small right now ok..but he will grow..so just keep that in mind..then when you can do yur upgrade..is a VT?
Uhm, well I'm not sure, what does VT mean? How big do bettas usually get? Mine is about 1.5 - 2 inches long with the tail. I can't be certain because he tends to swim around when I get close.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #19 
lelei

Sorry, VT means Veil tail, and HM is Half Moon, there is a sticky showing tail types, but if you could post a pic..it would help to identify him:)
Old 08-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #20 
missketie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina89 View Post
as for the one gallon... i think its fine as long as u monitor temp and are vigilant with water changes... i hve 2 bettas one in a 1.7g and one in a 5.5g and they both have the same energy level/ swim level.. the one in the bigger tank isnt zipping around acting like "omg thanks for the room" he usually just sleeps... as for the plakats and female bettas they swim faster and NEED more room than the ones with long fins so i think its ok for the halfmoons... others will disagree bec its harder to manage temp and its easy for the ammonia to build up... but like i said... if you keep up with water changes it could be fine... and keep in mind that even if the temp is ok now... it wont be for winter... i will prolly need to get a heater for winter ... right now my 5.5g is at 82 and my 1.7 is 78 degrees... My tank was at 85 degrees for a couple days and i think my betta preferred it haha
So since I have a small tank, should I change the water twice a week or just keep with the weekly changes? I don't want to stress the fish out, but I don't want him to get cold or live in ammonia filled water.

I can't go to the pet store til tomorrow so I'm not sure about its current water temperature. He doesn't seem to be lethargic so maybe he's still ok?