Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #1 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Seniors Rant Thread

Adult children driving you crazy? Are you having hot flashes during water changes? Are your joints and back and most everything else aching? Got any great AARP deals to share?

Did you click into this thread and forget how you even got here?

If so, this is the place for you Lets hear what's on your mind.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #2 
Tolak

Get off my lawn ya punks!!

Nah, I'm not that bad, no problem with the local kids stretching a ball game across a few front yards. The joints & back are another story, decades in a trade, industrial disease. Finally knuckled & got pain killers from my doc, shoulders are toast. This means a monthly visit to the doc, now wait, I'm not old enough for that nonsense!

Thanks for starting this topic Romad, I would have, but somehow I forgot. ;)
Tolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I've been pretty lucky so far in the lack of pain department but I do hear my knees creaking nowadays. Think of the step sister in the original TV movie of Cinderella. Every time she curtsied her knees made a crunching sound. Ugh!

Found out a few years ago that bio-mom (she's about 10 pages worth of rant topic) had rheumatoid arthritis so now I'm a bit paranoid when I have the slightest twinge anywhere in a joint. From what I understand, I should have been symptomatic by now so crossing fingers.

Last edited by Romad; 07-13-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolak View Post
Get off my lawn ya punks!!

Nah, I'm not that bad, no problem with the local kids stretching a ball game across a few front yards.
Rita Delvecchio disagrees :)

https://screen.yahoo.com/rita-her-sons-000000302.html
Old 07-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #5 
Tolak

Never been much of a morning person, older I get the worse I am about it. I'm sure not one of those that go to bed when the streetlights come on, and wake up before dawn. 9am is a good time to wake up for me, 7am takes a bit of work. 6am to get my wife to work, since her foot is in a cast for 9 more days & can't drive... Lord help me this sucks.

She doesn't have the upper body strength for crutches so it's a wheelchair tossed in the Jeep, roll her into work, then get my happy ass off to work. Afternoon is ortho pickup time, should just turn my house into an ortho rehab facility. Tossing a wheelchair in & out of a truck is just great for the shoulders, one day I'll just leave an arm lying somewhere. As long as I have 1 good arm to drink coffee I'll get by.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:15 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thanks Ro... Let the wrath of the seniors begin

I hope those pain pills keep your shoulder pain in check Tolak .

I just read a article about Spain building playgrounds for seniors. How great is that I had my early morning senior chuckle when reading one of the comments that said one was near the road where people could watch and laugh at them as well. I suppose if seniors were afraid of being laughed at we would not have made it this long in life. Jokes on you jokesters who laugh at seniors having/using their own playgrounds in Spain. Senior Power !

“It’ is very social,” says Paz Vidal, a physical therapist. “[We] want to break the myth of the old person coming to the park and just sitting while grandkids play. And then going home. Kids can also have fun here. The parks help create family cohesion. And it’s intergenerational.”
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

"If I'd known I was going to live so long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Said by so many that attribution is unknown.

But what gets me is the things that you can't take care of, or mitigate by good eating and exercise that rise up and bite you. Genetics plays a role. Pick healthy parents.

I'm glad to take advantage of modern medical care. So I have new lenses. Forty years ago I'd be blind.

Exercise and good eating doesn't protect against strokes. A minor TIA (mini-stroke) scared me so badly, that I lost years of conditioning just by not doing anything strenuous.

And, although it's subtle, I can feel my mind is not as quick or deep as it once was. Memory OK for an old fart -- just slower.

Thank goodness I never subjected my ears to decades of loud, bass-laden rock and roll, and I always rode quiet motorcycles, so I can still hear a full frequency range. I feel sorry for kids in their 50's who already have a "high-frequency dip" in their hearing, so everything sounds muffled and bass-y.

Enough about me. I'm interested in who is the oldest fart around here. Without giving numbers...

I remember when rock and roll began. I disliked it then as being banal, trite, simplistic and stupid. Nothing has changed my mind about it since. I learned to write with an ink-pen. I remember when ball-point pens and panty-hose were invented. Neither was an improvement over what existed before.

I hear the current generation is the longest-lived bunch ever. I wonder when improperly grown and badly prepared foods will begin a decline in life expectancy. Obesity is epidemic in America.

Sheesh ... enough out of me.

For historical reference http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/l...d-98830/page4/

It lasted 6 days. We old people don't have endurance like we used to.

Last edited by Hallyx; 07-14-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:35 PM   #8 
Tolak

I remember when the whole world was in black & white, the invention of color was amazing!!

Don't know about the 6 day endurance deal, while the body may not have the endurance it had the mind seems to be tested every day in a new way as far as endurance. It seems to be a mental Navy Seal workout daily!

On the rock & roll thing; just wait, in the future nursing homes will have a double bass drum set & a Marshall stack instead of the old stand by piano!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #9 
ao

Don't mind me, I'm just subscribing to get a front seat to the show :)
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:45 AM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Thank goodness I never subjected my ears to decades of loud, bass-laden rock and roll, and I always rode quiet motorcycles, so I can still hear a full frequency range. I feel sorry for kids in their 50's who already have a "high-frequency dip" in their hearing, so everything sounds muffled and bass-y.

This is an anti-rant I guess but I'm fairly amazed that my hearing is as good as it is. Pretty darn good actually. I was one of the decades long concert goers and the good thing about being this old is that we got to see all of the great bands; Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who (when Keith Moon was still alive) Deep Purple, Queen etc....

During the 80's I was a big fan of punk, new wave, alternative and my ears did ring for a few days after a Sex Pistols concert but no permanent damage. Phew!

Last edited by Romad; 07-15-2015 at 04:47 AM.