Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #1 
Catfish Billy

Question Re-growing Fins?

Hey guys!

I currently own a CT betta named Suzuki who lives in a 9 gallon filtered, heated and cycled tank with some live plants. I feed him Hikari Betta Bio Gold pellets once a day (3-4 pellets) and do a 33% water change once a week.

He currently has mild fin rot from the store I bought him from which will not go even after 2-3 weeks in his new home. I've even tried doing extra water changes (10%) every day for a week. After Scout camp, I came back on Friday to find two of his "spikes" short with white tips unlike the rest of the "spikes" which have black tips. I was shocked that the fin rot had moved so quickly that I immediately started to treat him on Myxazin. I finished the course on Tuesday 31st July and did a 33% water change the next day. I know that I probably should have done AQ treatment first rather than medication but I was very shocked by the state he was in. The medication hasn't made a difference.

The thing is, when I look at his fins from underneath him with strong lighting in the background, his "spikes" appear to have transparent tips. I know transparent fins are supposed to be re-growing ones but I find it hard to believe that they are healing when he still has black tips. His fin rot hasn't really got worse apart from the white, short "spikes", in fact, some of the tips don't have black on them anymore. He's not lethargic but he has calmed down since I first got him.

So, are his tips transparent because they are re-growing or is it normal? What can I do to finally get rid of his fin rot? Why did two of his "spikes" suddenly change?

Thanks in advance!
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #2 
Silverfang

clear/whitish tips is a sign of growth. I know it's odd. My Scuzi used to get clear parts along with a darker edge. I was always paranoid, but his tail got slowly longer so I realized it was regrowth.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #3 
Catfish Billy

OK thanks! So I just need patience.... It's funny, my Suzuki does have tips that are partially transparent/partially black that have a black edge so maybe he is recovering. But the tips only look completely transparent under strong lighting....

Any ideas on how the two "spikes" became short and white?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #4 
LittleWatty

I've got the same thing with my CT, and it has me confused. I know that clear fins are supposed to be a sign of regrowth, but it seems like the rays tipped with clear are deteriorating. I've got him in a 1.75 gallon quarantine with 1tsp of AQ salt. I never noticed any fin rot on him before I saw the clear on the tips of his rays. So... I really don't know if its regrowth or something else.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #5 
lelei

I hear that when they grow back, they may not be the same, and take on a different coloring, but they do grow back, I think in time after the coloring starts showing up, it should be fine..give some more time..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #6 
Catfish Billy

Thanks lelei! As much as I like good-looking fish it's got to the point that I don't care how he looks I just want his fins to re-grow. :)

EDIT: @LittleWatty I hope your betta heals soon! :) I don't think Suzuki's clear tips are deteriorating....at least I hope not!

Last edited by Catfish Billy; 08-02-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #7 
LittleWatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
I hear that when they grow back, they may not be the same, and take on a different coloring, but they do grow back, I think in time after the coloring starts showing up, it should be fine..give some more time..:)
They definitely weren't the same with my CT after he freaked out and damaged his fins on his own 2 months ago, as I have really hard water. They curled pretty bad. (one of those curls is now white, which is why I don't know what white tips are)
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #8 
Catfish Billy

So any ideas on anything I need to do to promote/speed up healing? Or should I just keep him in clean, warm water and wait?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

You could give him some high-protein foods. Such as mosquito larvae for example. It could help with growing new tissue.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #10 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
clear/whitish tips is a sign of growth. I know it's odd. My Scuzi used to get clear parts along with a darker edge. I was always paranoid, but his tail got slowly longer so I realized it was regrowth.
My Orange VT seems to be biting his tail and the ends are clear/whitish with some dark edges. So you are saying that this is okay? I don't want it to be fin rot.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote