Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #1 
helen23254

20L tank, is it possible? :)

Hello.
I have a spare 20L tank (or it will be when my goldfish move into their bigger home!) and i was wondering if this was big enough for a betta?
Only issue is, its taller than it is wide....and if i was to put anything in there, it would be long term.

If not, I will just put some plants and shrimp in there :)

thanks!
helen23254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #2 
MSG

Take a picture of the tank. 20L are longer, not wider.

20G to a betta would be a palace compared to the dinky tanks they're usually kept in.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #3 
helen23254

I have the link to tank, it was a starter tank for my goldfish.

Also another thing..would they be okay on their own? They won't get lonely? I always feel sorry for fish on their own..

This is the tank.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...85&pf_id=53060

Betta fish look rather big online, like...goldfish size or more...are they smaller? I'm thinking of going just for a look tomorrow :)
Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Edit: Oh, I see....a 21 LITER xD I understand now, lol.

Yes, that tank would be just fine for a single betta.....much too small for tank mates, but no need o worry; Bettas are solitary fish by nature, he or she will be perfectly happy with just you for company ;)
I had a tank like that that survived for about 5 years....until I dropped it in the tub during a water change, lol. It was a great tank, saw a lot of bettas too.
You'll want to ditch the filter though; the current is much to much and in a tank that size it just takes up space....instead, get a heater; unlike goldfish bettas are tropical fish and need a steady temp of 76-82 degrees F.

Lol, bettas are tiny compaired to goldfish....a standard betta's adult size is around 2.5in I belive, where as goldfish get to 8-12+in depending on the species. So no worries there xD your betta can live in that tank the rest of his life.

Anywho, now that thats out of the way.....welcome to the site and, hopefully soon, wonderful world of betta keeping! Feel free to take a look around, ask questions, and take a look at our stickys in the Betta Care section like this one http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058 they have loads of super helpful information for beginners. ;)

Last edited by DragonFish; 08-02-2012 at 11:24 AM.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 
helen23254

The link is up there ^^

W47xD26.5xH40cm (18.5x10.5x15.75”)

Apparantly...makes no sense to me I don't get dimensions :P

Will it be okay on its own?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #6 
DragonFish

Lol, ahh, I apologize for my ill-timed post....but I edited it to answer your questions xD Sorry about that, I hadn't checked before I posted like I usually do...
Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #7 
Aus

Bettas are hostile creatures. The betta splendens was bred to fight other fish - my plakat is having this incredible war with a snail right now - he can't eat it, can't fight with it so he flares at it all day and sulks.

In short, yes - they do not get lonely. Bettas like having thier turf free of interference, and tankmates (even a snail apparently) can cause some untold stress.

+1^ to the part about the heater - it's really essential to tropical fish health.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #8 
helen23254

I currently have a ''

A-460 Fluval Mini Underwater Filter - 200 LPH

- Simple, quiet efficient filter
- Ideal for smaller coldwater or tropical aquariums
- For aquariums up to 45L
- 5W''

For that tank. Is it still too big for him? :) And could I have shrimp too?

AND finally, you sure he could stay in there for all his life? :)

btw thanks, im excited :D

P.S what is the correct way to say betta? beet-a? :) ta!

Last edited by helen23254; 08-02-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #9 
DragonFish

Completely 100% positive that a single betta could stay in there for the rest of his life all by himself and be perfectly happy, no need to worry. ;)
Thats not the filter that comes with the tank right? I don't think so after looking it up, but just making sure....
The current still MAY be too strong, and I don't see a good way to baffle that filter....bettas come from a still-water/heavily planted environment to begin with and don't like to much water movement....

If you are able to properly cycle that tank(which is possible with the use of a filter, but if the filter doesn't work out then no)then you could probably have a couple of shrimp in there...be careful though! Shrimp can be a it sensitive, and your betta may even make a snack out of them.

Yes, I do believe that is the correct pronunciation of betta. xD
Old 08-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #10 
helen23254

Nope, I changed the filter because i took the one it came with, apart for cleaning and a part accidently went down the sink >< so i had to go down the shop the next day and buy a new one! :P

As the filter is oldish now, the flow has dulled a little. (probably the motor?) so i am hoping it will be okay...

Now...got to think of a name!