Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #1 
Goldibug

Fin Rot And Fungus

What can I use to treat my betta? He is in a divided tank with another betta and two cories on the other side. All fish are eating well and acting normal. Parameters look great. There is an airstone and filter and heater. A few days ago I bought Gypsy from Petco. He has fin rot and was so faded I thought he was a peach colored celophane. A few hours after placing him in my tank he turned navy blue! I was shocked how quickly he brightened up and changed color! There is no celophane left! I've been feeding him bloodworms to help his fins regrow. Yesterday I noticed a small white patch of fuzz on his side near his fin. I decided to keep an eye on him to see if it would get worse or clear up since it was so small. Well, this morning I'm noticing another spot. It looks like fungus to me since it is fuzzy and white. What do I do to treat it that will be safe for my whole tank? I was looking into betta revive but I'm not sure if I can get it around here or not.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Right now I would remove him from the tank into QT...the small temporary cup he came in works great for this. You can float it in the heated tank to maintain water temp, however, you are going to want that temp to be in the low normal for treatment....76-77F range...If you float him in the tank be sure and use the lid and attach it so it doesn't sink....

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL (1lrg/gal) or dried Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal)...Let this steep for 30 min to dissolve the salt and tannins to start to release...Shake well before use...

Using this premixed treatment water make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today...

He need to stay in the QT in this treatment water for the duration of the 10 day treatment.

Tomorrow start 50% daily water changes using the premixed treatment water

If you used a tannin source-the water should look darker every day.

Nutrition-if you have access to mosquito larva offer several rinsed several times a day...If not a good quality varied diet in small frequent meals....

Make a 50% water change with vacuum on the main tank.

Can you post a pic....

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #3 
Goldibug

I don't have a tannin source. Do you know if Petsmart or Petco carry IAL? I can't even get a hold of oak leaves here. There aren't many of those in the desert ;) Will 100% sea salt or Epson salt work in place of aquarium salt? I'm seriously unprepared for this guy to be sick :( I didn't notice his fin rot until I already had him home which bugs me because I noticed it on one other fish and brought it to the fish guys attention. Anyway, I'll try and get a pic of him. The only camera I have right now is my smart phone and most pics are coming out noisy :/
Old 07-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Petsmart and Petco don't have them I'm afraid... -_- I'm not sure about Sea Salt but Epsom Salt is for internal problems such as bloat. You need AQ salt for external... I'm sorry for the situation you're in. :(
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #5 
Goldibug

He came right up to the glass for a decent pic
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

You can use sea salt, kosher salt, ice cream salt......sodium chloride is what you want......without the anti caking added....the Iodine won't hurt the fish-it is iodide and actually beneficial in small amounts.

If you don't have a tannin source....don't worry about it....just QT him and start the sodium chloride.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #7 
Goldibug

Thank you!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #8 
Goldibug

Here's a late update. The fungus is gone and the fin rot seemed to be on the mend. I had to remove the corydoras because Neptune was to nippy with them. After another week I found a betta I couldn't pass up and added him to the tank. All three bettas are suffering from what I think is mild fin rot. The edges of their fins look melted and some are slightly curled (tail types listed in my signature). I'm out of salt and don't know when I can get more. I'm certain there is still a diluted amount in the tank because I added salt to the tank too. My parameters are reading as follows: PH 7.8, ammonia 0, nitrIte 0, nitrAte 3-5. Is there something else I can do to help their fins? Here's a picture I got of Gypsy this morning.
Attached Images

Last edited by Goldibug; 08-01-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #9 
Goldibug

Bump, I'd really love some suggestions. I'm at a loss :(
Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #10 
Pilot00

Frequent (as in daily) water changes and if you can find it use Maracyn-Two. Its an antibiotic. Though i dont advocate the use of pharmaceuticals as a first choice and sadly i am not experienced with bettas to aid you. The last time i had fin rot in my tank it had effected my dollar fish i preformed battlefield surgury and it worked. Probably you dont want to hear about it so if you can browse here: http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99 there is a lot of advice to follow.

Last edited by Pilot00; 08-03-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote