Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Unhappy Is Buddha dying..? (video included)

I don't want to think the worst, but Buddha doesn't look so good at all. He hasn't been moving much this morning, and I assumed so because it was dark out, but now it looks like it could just be him.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees right now, was about 84 earlier
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? There is a bamboo there that has been there for some time, but it was just removed.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Mini pellets at the moment. He hasn't eaten flakes or blood worms in about 2 weeks.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-4 pellets a day. He had 4 yesterday, and so he was fasted today because he looked like a blimp yesterday.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 2 days. Today was his water change.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes. Everything is safe

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? For the first time ever he looks like he's developing a stress stripe.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He doesn't really move. He was active for some time this afternoon, but both this morning and also just now, he has been floating in the tank. He only moves to get air, and then he sinks down and stays there. He's also been gasping occasionally.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed his lack oof movement this morning but shrugged it off that it was because he was still full...

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No. I just did a change though so I hope it might help.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only fin rot

How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for 6 months but he might be around 1 year old

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cMOsMwPWdM

At around 0:07 you can see him floating. He's not moving his fins at ALL, the water is pushing him
At 0:10 he goes up for air
0:16 to 0:25 you can see he's clamped up. Also, he's not moving his left pectoral fin
At 0:40, he stops moving again and lets the water take him over

The rest of the video is basically him right now. I can only get him to move if i move the entire tank, other than that, he won't budge AT ALL. :(

I'm seriously scared..someone please help :(
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #2 
lelei

Oh no..hun..I think it may be the SBD..if you saw him bloated, have you tried the Epsom salts bath yet, if you have any..try that first, and PM OFL, I sure hope he is gonna be ok, seems like he's very tired.. keep trying to get him moving.. if possible, but if not try the epsom, does he still seem bloated to you?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

He's actually not bloated right now. He was bloated I swore because I fed him so many pellets. I normally feed him only TWO a day, so the 4 must have bloated him up like it normally does...

I just checked on him. I had to rotate the tank to see him, but he moved and swam a bit before floating back down to the bottom of the tank.

Last edited by Alcemistnv; 08-01-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #4 
lelei

Yea, I can see how he just lets his body drop, not good, do you have epsom salt? if he's not bloated, then I am not sure.. but if you have it, no harm in trying..check with OfL
Old 08-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #5 
Alcemistnv

No, I don't have Epsom salt in my house right now. And I'm not going out shopping until Friday or Saturday...
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I think maybe the water was just to warm for him when it was 84 I am pretty sure I read somewhere that they would be inactive in to warm water of water just as they are when the water is to cold. Keep a check on the temp of the water okay and on him. Hopes he perks up soon.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

I just messaged OFL

And I'm hoping that's what it is. I really am. I am NOT ready to lose my little guy. This might be the worst I've ever seen him.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #8 
lelei

How is Buddah doing today??
Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Its hard to say what is going on, however, my thoughts are that it is stress related and maybe some shock due to the frequent 100% water changes-how are you doing them and re-acclimating him back to the water after the 100% water changes....

What I would recommend right now-stop the 100% water changes...

Make 50% today and double dose on the dechlorinator-turn off the light and hold food unless he begs for it...

Then for the next few days make some 50% daily and see if this will perk him up...If not you need to start a treatment....

If you have a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf add that to his tank and if you have access to mosquito larva offer some rinsed.

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #10 
sunlight

I was wondering if you didn't forget to put water conditioner?
I have one fish in one gall and i do 100% water changes every 4 days for like 2 years now, so every 2 days probably too much.
I am also wondering when you change the water if you try new water make the same temperature as his and take time to acclimate? Sorry if i repeated some of Oldfishlady's questions
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote