Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #1 
Pixielator

Question Weld-On Acrylic Adhesive/Cement

Hi everyone. So I plan on breeding bettas soon, but instead of using 432 32oz deli containers to jar the offspring in, I've found a way to make 432 half gallon acrylic mini-aquariums that would take up the same amount of room as the deli cups. I've been told to use "Weld-On" to stick acrylic together, so I went on amazon to try and find some for a good price. The problem is there are so many different choices, I don't know which to buy. Some say "Adhesive" and some say "Cement" is there really any difference? Also they all have numbers, for example one says "Weld-On 4 Acrylic Adhesive - 4 Oz" while another says "Weld-On 16 Acrylic Cement - 5 Oz". What do these numbers (the first ones in the quotes) mean? Can someone who has used Weld-On before please help me?

Last edited by Pixielator; 07-30-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #2 
Pixielator

Anybody?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #3 
bahamut285

The numbers are the viscosity of the adhesive. Lower numbers are thinner and larger numbers are thicker.

I'm not sure if it is aquarium safe though, you should get that checked out first
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #4 
prodrumernate

this guy doe it.he tells what he uses.didnt watch much of the vid but i think its the info u might be looking for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSIVa_TzN8w
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #5 
Pixielator

This might be a dumb question, but does the viscosity effect how well the adhesive works? Have you used weld-on before? If so, what number would you recommend I use if it's tank safe?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #6 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
This might be a dumb question, but does the viscosity effect how well the adhesive works? Have you used weld-on before? If so, what number would you recommend I use if it's tank safe?
1. Depends on what you define as "well". I would be inclined to believe that lower numbers are possibly used for stuff like small scratches or cracks and larger numbers would be used for larger/deeper cracks. It honestly depends on what your intended use is

2. I've never used weld-on before, but I've used various adhesives

3. RE: First answer; depends on what you're trying to do (A bit confused by your original post about it)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #7 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
this guy doe it.he tells what he uses.didnt watch much of the vid but i think its the info u might be looking for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSIVa_TzN8w

Thanks, this video did help a little. But I still have some questions. It says underneath the video that you need both of these weld-on cements to make and aquarium. Why can't you just use ONE of them?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #8 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
1. Depends on what you define as "well". I would be inclined to believe that lower numbers are possibly used for stuff like small scratches or cracks and larger numbers would be used for larger/deeper cracks. It honestly depends on what your intended use is

2. I've never used weld-on before, but I've used various adhesives

3. RE: First answer; depends on what you're trying to do (A bit confused by your original post about it)

Oh sorry. Basically I'm making a bunch of 1/2 gallon acrylic betta tanks. I just want something that will hold the acrylic together for a very long time and will be able to withstand the weight of the water.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #9 
prodrumernate

i would think ince ur making half gallon tanks.u really wouldnt need to use both.i think its more for large tanks..i dont know ur budget.since u know it can be used.i would buy the weld-on 4 and make like a test tank.if it holds then keep using it.i was going to use my 100% silicon and acrylic panels to make an aquarium later in the future.but now im not sure silicon adheres to acrylic.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #10 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
i would think ince ur making half gallon tanks.u really wouldnt need to use both.i think its more for large tanks..i dont know ur budget.since u know it can be used.i would buy the weld-on 4 and make like a test tank.if it holds then keep using it.i was going to use my 100% silicon and acrylic panels to make an aquarium later in the future.but now im not sure silicon adheres to acrylic.

Yeah I don't think it does. When I was trying to figure out what to use as an adhesive, I remember reading something about someone using silicon to make an acrylic tank, then I guess they were transporting it somewhere while it had water in it, and it ended up falling apart in the back seat of their car. Also I looked up silicon on home depot's web site and looked at the details of the product, acrylic isn't on the list of materials that it adheres to.

Tags
acrylic, acrylic cement, cement, weld on, weld-on