Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #11 
mkayum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
HallX - 2nd time I've noticed you mentioning the white gravel thing. I glad I met a person that's using white gravel, but hers was coated with algae & poo. That was enough to make me scoop all the white gravel and rinsed out the tank before going with mini river rocks.

Mkay - look into a bag of pool filter sand. I gotta stop by the hardware store to check it out how much they retail for.

Actually I'll just call ahead.

Heard a 50lb bag is $12-$14

Here's a link to a visual.
http://bestaquariumfilter.org/pool-filter-sand-aquarium

I meant the Petco white sand. But I might go for pool filter sand. I need it to cover the most floor space of my 20 gallon tank.

I also have a bag of organic peat moss mixed with the pool sand for my carnivorous plants.

Thanks for the link! Helpful info definitively!
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkayum View Post

I also have a bag of organic peat moss mixed with the pool sand for my carnivorous plants.
Carnivorous plants? Cool. What kind?

I have pitcher plants in my backyard. Being wild, they require no care.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #13 
MSG

Never realized they used PFS in the soil with the venus fly traps. I've noticed the little granules in the substrate before when I looked at terrarium type enclosures.

That's another reason I'll get myself a giant bag. I'll use it to mix into gardening soil.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #14 
Myates

You may want to feed him daily.. they benefit from eating a few small meals a day rather then once every few days. They are like us.. we like to eat daily, and so do they. Feeding once every few days can cause them to become malnourished and lower their life span...
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #15 
goldfishyman

Actually calorie restriction has been found to keep humans and mice younger. I have no doubt the same could be true about fish. lol
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
Actually calorie restriction has been found to keep humans and mice younger. I have no doubt the same could be true about fish. lol
While it may enhance longevity in mammals, calorie-restriction is not calculated to maintain optimum health, fitness or activity.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #17 
homegrown terror

i've got my king Odin in a ten-gal planted tank with two mollies and a platy. he's extremely happy, loves the long leaves and investigating the occasional snail that pops up. i've noticed he's a LOT more docile than most bettas, when we put him in, he spent a minute or two chasing the other fish just out of curiosity but after that he leaves them alone. they're wonderful fish, but i wouldn't recommend putting one in anything less than a five-gal. even if you change the water every day, bigger fish need more space to feel comfortable.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #18 
Bethydan

Honestly, I have Magwitch in a 20-gallon all to himself. And sometimes it seems like he's cramped cause he's such a beast. But he's a happy little monster. For a King, I wouldn't consider less than a 5-gallon, and 10 would be even better. I'm just a weirdo who likes to give her little scaly-beasts a palace.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #19 
gossipgirl1031

Ty definitely needed at least the 5, I was considering bumping him up to a 10, but then he passed on.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #20 
Enkil

I would definitely recommend at least 5 gallons for a king. Also, daily feedings. Kings and Giants eat more because they're bigger.
I have a true giant who eats twice daily and I vary his diet with: large betta pellets, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, live/frozen mosquito larvae. I also keep frozen daphnia on hand in case of bloat/constipation.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote