Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #1 
underdebate

How do you handle knowing you're losing a fish?

For the past few days, one of my sorority girls has been in a hospital tank due to lethargy and lack of appetite. Two days ago, it became apparent to me that she had dropsy; luckily everyone else in the tank is perfectly healthy, but her prospects don't look good. This is her second day of medication and epsom salts, and although she only just pineconed earlier this afternoon, I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose her.

Have any of you ever been in a situation where you've known one of your fish was going to die? It's upsetting-- I've never had to deal with dropsy before and it's a horrible disease to watch. In fact, this is the first betta I've had to watch dying in years-- I only got back into fishkeeping recently and all of the bettas I've brought in since then are still alive. Before that, I was younger and never had to deal specifically with watching a fish struggle to stay alive.

It's sad. I don't have the heart (or resources) to euthanize her, because I know she's probably only got a day or two left anyway. All I can do now is try to keep her comfortable and hope she passes quietly and without pain.

How have you dealt with it in the past?
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #2 
3l1zabeth

when my raven died, i spent as much time as i could with him and i never gave up hope in curing him. I spent a lot of time with him( buy putting him in my lonely 5 gallon and gave him live worms ) and i just was happy that i got to spend that time with him. I wish you the best hopes and who knows... maybe she will get better if you put her i clean water and clean it daily and keep him away from other bettas. I am hoping that she will get better.
3l1zabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #3 
ZergyMonster

I always find the quickest way to end their suffering. Clove oil or ice water shock is usually the quickest and most painless way to die.

I only resort to this when there is no hope for their health.

Losing a fish is sad but you will open your tank for a new fish's home.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #4 
Enkil

My Eva...
She was quite sick, but kept giving me hope so I kept fighting with her to the very end. She had a mystery problem. I suspect that my girl Conchenn caused some internal injuries. I know she managed to kill one of the other girls before I could get her out. (Conchenn now has her own tank.)

Had Eva in a 2 gal hospital tank. Heated. Had IAL in it. Tried everything for her including ES. Nothing helped. So I changed out all the water one time and only put IAL back in. She seemed better... But died the next evening.

That same night, I lost all my girls except Conchenn. Someone dumped food into my sorority. I knew I was going to loose most of them as soon as I scooped them out and saw their poor stomachs. Went out the following morning and got locks for the door.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

My first fish died recently from what I think was terminal bloat. I only had him about eighteen months. I tried fasting, epsom salts, daphnia. He just laid around in his floating plants for the last month.

He was such a happy, active fish; brought so many smiles and a few giggles. That was a rough month.

I have clove oil but couldn't bring myself to use it. I hoped he wasn't in actual pain. But I must say I breathed a sigh of relief at his release.

I floated him down the creek rather than burying him. He wasn't the first fish I lost, but he was my favorite...and I barely knew him.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I always let my fish die on their own. I pretty much leave them alone except to check on them every few hours. I spent a lot of time with my first fish, Buddy and every time I spoke to him he would move his little pectorals like he was trying to acknowledge me.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote