Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

Pathetic spawners

I am trying my fancy HMPK pair again as I have been conditioning them for a couple of weeks and my female was very eager to get in with the HM male I had in her tank (she was hanging in a breeders' net).

They had been in together for about 5 minutes this morning before I let the female out as she wanted to really get into it. She swam straight over to the nest the HM male built last night haha and after a few displays of strength they started wrapping. Male did not even care that he did not build the nest.

They are still under there, but I don't know if they quite have it down pat yet. I am wondering if the male being very slender isn't able to wrap her properly which is why the eggs were not fertilised last time I spawned them.

They are pretty peaceful with each other so I am just going to leave them in until they lose interest. If it doesn't work out this time around I am trying my other thicker bodied male in with her.

Camera is charging so I am going to try and get some photos of them. Male was very surprised by how assertive the female was. She was right under that net nipping his side and telling him to hurry the hell up!
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

You would have a problem is he was short bodied, but not if he's slender.
Best of luck and keep us updated... I'm enjoying everyone's spawn logs since I haven't had a successful one yet.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

They have started consistently wrapping now. It's annoying as this female has really good form and the male has really good form too as well as a really nice colour so I am really desperate to get some fry out of them.

The replacement male I have in mind is not as sharp in the caudal fin or as wide in the dorsal, though his body is nicer and colouring is also good.

I wish bettas were as easy to spawn as my killifish. It seems like every time I turn around my male is getting it on with the two females haha.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Yay! I had a look at them while they were in between wraps and they had a few eggs up in the nest. They were both watching me wondering what I was doing and then they went back to wrapping haha. Hopefully this time around they are fertilised and dad manages to raise some.

I forgot to drop the water down so it's around 10 inches, but I have spawned my wilds many times in tanks this deep and they manage to raise their fry up and keep them together. Dad will just have to be on the ball.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #5 
VictorP

Lower water is good for long finned males like yours. It's fine if he does not have excessive branching then he can swim around better.
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

The male she is spawning with is a HMPK. The HM was only in there while I jostled tanks around yesterday. He is the one who built the nest and he was removed this morning so I could add the plakat male in.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:05 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Eggs are present and female has been removed. They are an odd pair. Minimal aggression from the male even after they were done and she was just hanging out under the nest. Don't know if it's because they are siblings or not.

Neither fish has any damage and the male is much more interested in the nest this time around so hoping there is something there.

Fingers crossed for lots of cellophane marble HMPK babies!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If she is allowed to hang around near the nest, they're probably not done. For some reason the female becomes "jumpy" when she's out of eggs, making the male attack her. But don't worry, taking a female out early wont harm her. She may release and eat the rest of her eggs.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Good luck!! My CT shows zero interest in the female (shown to him to get a nest going while I feed them for conditioning) and only she reacted -.- I only have two breeders... One is a bully and the other is not interested lol.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

I am not sure whether they were done but they were in for an hour like that and they weren't spawning or displaying. The female was just cruising around and if she got too close to the nest the male would put on his grumpy face. He did chase her halfheartedly a couple of times so I thought it best to pull her out anyway.

I left his light on overnight and he stayed and guarded the nest the whole time. I know as I woke up several times thinking it was morning and when I looked he was under there carefully tending the eggs.

I think this is a good sign as before when the eggs were bad he was very reluctant to stay under it and then only tended to it by eating everything.

Hopefully he remains a dutiful dad and doesn't eat everyone.

I would change the title of this if I could since they turned out to be not so pathetic after all.