Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #1 
WildFlower

Unhappy AquaBid Betta

I recently got my first AquaBid betta and he arrived about 30 minutes ago. I have been floating him in his bag in his new tank. He is lying on the bottom of the bag and I can tell he is breathing hard. Is this just him being stressed becuase of the shipping process, or is something else the matter? I might be reading to much into this, but I wanted to know how other AquaBid fish have reacted when they have arrived, so I can compare to how he is doing. Thanks in advance!
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #2 
Sivan

I have heard of this with stress after shipping. Does he have access to fresh air right now?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #3 
WildFlower

No he does not, should I open the bag to let fresh air in?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #4 
tanseattle

Yes, open the bag then. My do the same. It takes about a day for them to be normal.

I got my yesterday too. This morning they are about ok (one male is still looks tired than other 2).

Tan
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #5 
WildFlower

Okay, I will open the bag! When do you usually let them into their tank? After a day, or right away? Sorry for the questions, I'm just worried about my new *expensive* little boy. Thanks for the help so far!! :)
Old 08-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #6 
Sivan

Curious: Did you slowly get him adjusted from being in the dark to light? I remembering reading somewhere about light adjustment after shipment. Perhaps if you did not, this has added stress?

I do not know about shipped fish but I would assume adding them is the same as normal. Normally you would acclimate for at least 10 minutes until the water is the same temperature in and out of the bag. It may even be useful to slowly add some new tank water into his bag's old water to get him adjusted to the change in water content. After a period of time, you could add him to your new tank. However, as I said, I never ordered a fish before so it may be different.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #7 
WildFlower

I did not know about the change in light, so that could have stressed him more as well...(bad betta mom) I have opened the bag and IMO he is more active and he stretched out his enormous fins for me. xD
I think his water temp is the same as the tank, but I think I will wait a little bit before I start introducing the new water into his bag. Just so he doesn't get too stressed out because I had to cut open his double bags, and he was flipping out. I feel so much better thanks to you're responses, so hopefully he will pull through, thanks!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #8 
Sivan

I'm sure he will! Please post photos when he does!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #9 
WildFlower

Of course! I think he bit his tail on the way here, so I will heal him up and then post pictures of him in his new home.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #10 
lelei

Yea, I heard when they arrive to move them to a dimly lit room, to slowly adjust to light, as well as a new tank, same acclimination process with water as with light, slow adjustment ..so they don't stress, but sounds like he will be fine.. I cannot wait to see him..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote