Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #1 
LittleWatty

Mangled/Curled Rays

So, I know my guy probably has a little bit of fin rot, but that's not what this thread is about. Anyway. When I first got my CT, his fins/rays were very clean. But, within a week or so, he freaked out during a water change and banged his fins up pretty good. After that, they were never the same. They curled pretty badly, but it seems like they've only gotten worse over time. I know I have hard water, which is probably (most likely) the reason they curled in the first place.

I'm curious if there's anyway to prevent or even recover from it. I also want to know if the curled rays can affect a betta's quality of life? Because of a minor case of rot, he's currently in quarantine, but I can get pictures of his fins before and after the curling.
Attached Images

LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #2 
lvandert

yup hard water is the culprit for fin curling. To fix that you can add IAL or driftwood and over time it will soften the water. CT's are very tricky in that sense, they curl up pretty quick
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Should be hard water. Lebron has curled rays. It doesn't affect their life so don't worry. I don't think you can make them straight without soft water, sorry. :(
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 
lvandert

I should have specified, "to fix hard water" The curled fins are unfortunately curled until he rips or bites them off.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #5 
LittleWatty

Or they rot off DX None of the options are exactly good though. It's just kind'a depressing :( I don't love him any less since he has messy fins, but seeing how clean his fins used to be is a bit sad. Ah well... it was worth a shot to check and see if there was anything I could do short of changing my water chemistry. Not like I'll be going to shows with him XD
Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #6 
lvandert

Don't worry I have a CT boy with curly fins too. He actually just started biting them too :/ I've been loading his cage up with IAL for a while now so maybe they'll stay straight this time lol
Old 08-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #7 
LittleWatty

I'll have to see about getting some IAL if I ever run into a situation where he does nibble on the curled ones. For now, I've just been using oak leaves, but they're hard to find around here. There aren't many, and the ones I do know are here are in a nature reserve that prohibits collecting of anything XD So... no oak leaves for me!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #8 
lvandert

really?! what part of WI are you in? My parents have a lake place in North West WI and there are tons of them around. If you do order them I'd suggest Amy's Leaves on ebay
Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #9 
LittleWatty

I'm in the Wausau area. You'd think there would be a ton XD I'm used to having tons and tons of them around (I'm from a little farther south), but I haven't found any near my apartment!! Its all maples and pines/spruces!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #10 
lvandert

crappy. You could just take some from the park. Lay down a blanket and chill for a bit, and then accidentally get a few wrapped up in the blanket when you leave. lol