Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #1 
JackisLost

Look what i picked up today :-D

this is going to house my baby betta and my red cherry shrimp, shallow water and to be highly planted, plants will be grown with natural light now to find a stand to sit at window level...
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #2 
lvandert

I hate to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure that's not designed to hold water. The glass is thinner and the seals aren't water proof. It's designed for lizards and snakes.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #3 
Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
I hate to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure that's not designed to hold water. The glass is thinner and the seals aren't water proof. It's designed for lizards and snakes.
I would have to agree with Ivandert here.... :/ You should return it to get a real fish tank. It'll work out better in the long run.
Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #4 
JackisLost

the glass is thicker than my 14 gallon and it says it will hold water. there's some vids on youtube that use it to house bettas. if it ends up hurting my betta i'll just use it as a plant only "greenhouse" type of tank
Old 08-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #5 
lvandert

If it had a picture of a turtle or newt I'd say you could fill it 1/3 to 1/2 way but it has pythons and bearded dragons. Definitely not aquatic animals.

Edit: if it says it holds water give it a try but be wary
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #6 
JackisLost

i definitely will, i'm not planning to house anything crazy. just one betta and a lot of plants :) greenhouse time, woohooo
Old 08-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Our LFS uses something similar to that and has done all sorts of paludarium set-ups, including one that is around 3ft long. He uses that brand but I am not sure if there are different varieties or not.

Never heard him saying anything bad about them.

If they came in a more sleek design I probably would have bought some myself as I love the idea of them being self-contained like that. No worries about anything jumping out.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #8 
Mo

You can only fill it to the ventilation part. This is what it says in the description. So only about 1/3 of the way :/ I would return it and spend a bit more on a real tank
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #9 
JackisLost

i'm was only planning on having about 4-5 inches of water, it's going to be a wabi kusa inspired tank. 4-5 inches of water, .5 or 1cm of sand, i hope a betta can be happy in here, otherwise it's going to be a shrimp and plant farm. i'm not looking for a traditional aquarium, i was going for a submersed submerged plant growing tank. the reason i don't like a regular aquarium is because the only access is through the top, i had my expensive light fall in the tank before :X
Old 08-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #10 
JackisLost

here's what i mean guys