Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #1 
DiiQue

Question about water changes when the test results are good

Okay, I have a 1.5g tank for Dr. Z. He's energetic, is always swimming to the front of the tank when he sees me enter the room. A lot of bubble nests everywhere so I know he is not stressed, etc., etc.,

Anyways, I've been doing 50% water changes with a light vacuuming of the substrate (for poop). The last one I did I waited a good 7 days (I know, bad me) but I was doing daily water tests and the results would be 0 - Ammonia, 0 - Nitrites, 5 - Nitrates. I have a filter that is baffled/air adjusted and live plants, plus a heater.

If these levels hold, would I even need to do water changes (I still will do the changes, because he would essentially be swimming in his own urine), but would I be able to get by with just weekly 50% water changes?
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Depending on the number, species and growth state of the live plants and the filter in a 1.5gal tank with a single Betta....50% weekly with light vacuum should maintain water quality.

You shouldn't base water changes on test results alone since you also have DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) that we don't test for that build up and can be problematic.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #3 
Freyja
Banned

Would the same hold for a non-filtered 2.5g as far as PWCs? Grandma got my daughter a red VT who is coming home today in his 0.5 g bowl *ducks to avoid thrown objects and reminds others it wasnt me but Grandma*. Im getting Gordito (his name) the marineland or equivalent 2.5 g tank and not a kit. I dont need a heater because its Puerto Rico. Im getting him some Anacharis and a type of fern to put in his tank. Im not sure on substrate so I can clean with a turkey baster. Im going to see if one on my fellow forum members has a spare filter they can part with.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

If you have rooted plants even in unfiltered tanks you usually can maintain the water quality with 50% weekly to twice weekly....no 100% are needed-
Floating and rooted/stem plants are big eater and will function as the filtration in regards to using ammonia/byproducts that can be harmful to the long term health of the Betta.

Personally I wouldn't use a filter in a 2.5gal especially with a long fin male....add more plants instead.....Sometimes the filter can cause fin damage with some of the long fin males-not all-but some.....not to mention the stress they can sometimes cause....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #5 
DiiQue

Thanks again OFL! I dont know what we neophytes would do without you!
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #6 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
Thanks again OFL! I dont know what we neophytes would do without you!
We'd be lost without OFL.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote