Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #1 
babystarz

Question How Long Before Water is Safe?

Hello everyone,
Today I went into the pet store to buy some dog food and a lovely blue betta caught my eye. I wasn't going in with the intention of buying a fish, but he was so beautiful I couldn't resist. I did not like the tank selection at the store so I settled on a 1 gallon tank whilst I wait for the one I ended up ordering online to arrive. My question is about the water. Now granted, I haven't owned a fish in the last 5 years, but before I went to college I did own fish and after treating the water I had to wait at minimum 12 hours for the water to be safe to add the fish. Today I bought some Aqueon water conditioner for the tank and have added it, however it doesn't say anything on the bottle about how long I need to wait to add my fish. It says it "instantly" conditions the water, so I'm at a loss. Do I just need to wait until the water temperature is right? Or longer? The last thing I want to do is hurt or kill my lovely new fish.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #2 
LizzyP

Mine works instantly. However when I do a water change I add pretreated water that I made the last water change. Does that make sense? When I use water I just fill up a gallon container add conditioner and set it next to the tank for next time. But, do you need to wait until the water is at the proper temp, yes. Dramatic water changes can shock your fish. I suggest keeping the cup he came in and floating him in the tank until the water is at the proper temperature.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #3 
babystarz

Thank you! I ended up waiting to move him until this morning, just to be on the safe side. He's much more relaxed now that he has a bit more space and his color, which was inky black yesterday after I brought him home, has returned to a beautiful blue :) He still looks a bit cramped in the 1 gal. temporary tank but I've made it as nice as possible while he's in there - he has two plants and a leaf hammock. I have two baby bioOrbs on the way so I decided to check out a different Petsmart today to check out their selection for the second fish.

I hit the JACKPOT! They had amazing fish in, I was actually browsing eBay last night and some fish that look a lot like the ones going for $20+ there were significantly cheaper at Petsmart :P I ended up with a gorgeous green female crowntail with red in her fin tips... and I couldn't resist the white "dragon scale" male with teal spots near his tail (in quotes because the label is apparently iffy at Petsmart). So I picked up one permanent tank at Petsmart for the female and have it set up. I asked the lady at Petsmart if she could recommend a tank with a pump included that the female would be comfortable in and she actually told me the fish would be fine living in the cup she came in O.O

So I decided to go with the 3 gallon Marineland tank with included pump and bought a heater (which cost as much as an adjustable heater but isn't adjustable, oops!). It's all set up, just waiting for the water temp to neutralize before I add her. I put two really cool mini fake coral pieces with lots of arches and hidey holes in, plus two plants. I was not impressed with the filter system that came with the tank, the motor won't stay connected unless you very carefully attach it underwater so it will float a little bit underneath the tube it's attached to. The female is really big and she ate all of her food right away. She even managed to gobble up the bloodworm I gave her, she seems super healthy.

I also bought 1 more emergency tank for the dragon scale while I'm waiting on the bioOrb for him. He is going to look awesome under the Moonlit lighting feature ;) For now he's waiting to be put in a 1 gallon tank with a plant and a waterfall rock thing that he can easily hide in, and I gave him a leaf hammock too. He wasn't quite as enthusiastic about eating (understandable) but he did have a pellet I think. He left his bloodworm alone :(

The blue guy (I think I'm naming him Silas) hasn't been interested in food at all today, but he ate last night so I'm not too worried.

So yeah, I've become a betta aficionado in 24 hours :P 3 is definitely IT for me though, until I become more familiar with the fish and see how much time I'm committing to keeping the tanks clean.

I am a bit worried about how the boys will do before their bioOrbs come. I ordered two heaters as well but for now they don't have them. I normally keep my apartment at 68 degrees because I like it cold, but I've turned it up to 70 for the fish. Do you think they'll be alright for a week maximum? Or should I turn up the temp more?

Last edited by babystarz; 08-03-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 
babystarz

I took some pictures :) The boys are in tanks on a desk I usually use for restoring My Little Ponies, in case you're wondering what the heck those horses in the background are! I figured the fish would like being in the pony room because it's so colorful, and there's a wall between it and the air conditioner.

Here's Silas, sorry the pic is blurry. I like it because you can see the purple her has starting underneath his body into his fin:

And here's a pic of his emergency tank:

And here is the white guy still in his cup. I didn't realize how yellow his fins are until I saw him in natural lighting:

This is his emergency tank:

Finally, here is the female. I forgot to turn the flash off and scared the bejeezus out of her >.< But I did get a pretty fantastic picture:

And this is her permanent tank, which I will put her in after 10 PM:

Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #5 
LizzyP

Everything looks beautiful. You've done an excellent job. I would however suggest a heater with thermostat. The preset ones only heat the water to 5-10* higher than the room, which is fine if you keep your rooms set at 72 or so. Do you have a thermometer in the tanks? You'll need one of those, preferably one that goes inside the tank not a stick on one.

I'm sorry, I can't remember. Did you get water conditioner? If not, you'll want some ASAP. A lot of people recommend Prime.

Foods high in protein like Omega One Betta Buffet or New Life Spectrum are excellent foods. A little pricey in comparison to others but even the small can will last you forever and you get healthier/happier fish. Freeze dried or frozen (preferably frozen, but freeze dried isn't bad) bloodworms or brine shrimp are good ways to give treat. I stress the word treats. Like, once or twice a WEEK. Not everyday :P

Be careful with the hammocks. There's a metal piece in there somewhere (I can't remember where) that can and has been known to rust. Just check it every time you do a tank cleaning. If it's starting to get questionable, take it out.

Oh gosh, I've totally flooded this. I'm sorry, lol. Having a new fish or getting into fish keeping isn't hard, but there is a lot to learn if you want to have healthy happy fish. No one told me how to "properly" take care of them, I had to learn on my own, so I know how hard it is. If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. :)

Lizzy
Old 08-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #6 
babystarz

Thanks so much for your help! I do have thermometers coming, I've cranked up the temp to 72 in the meantime to keep the fish comfy. And yep I do have a water conditioner, and I have New Life Spectrum coming as well :)

I will be sure to watch those hammocks too, I'm not sure if they will be going into the permanent tanks anyway. I may just hold onto them in case I end up with a weak/sick fish who needs a resting spot.

Persephone (the female) seems to be the happiest of the bunch still, which isn't surprising because she has the biggest tank, plus a filter and heater :P She's super active and likes to spend time swimming at the top of her tank around the filter output, I think she likes the current it creates. I am actually surprised by how much she moves around :P I haven't caught her sleeping yet.

Casper (tentative name for my white and yellow guy) is MUCH happier now that he's in his temporary tank and out of that dirty tiny cup. He also likes to hang out near the top of his tank. he was really excited for breakfast today and he convinced me to give him 1 extra pellet :P He knows how to beg lol!

I'm a bit worried about Silas today. He has been staying at the bottom of his tank since I brought him home. At first I assumed he was just lethargic because he has no heater, but he's right next to Casper, who isn't lethargic at all. The only time I see Silas moving much is when he spots me or Casper and starts flaring and trying to attack. I'm not sure if he likes being in sight of Casper. He seems very prone to getting stressed out.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #7 
LizzyP

You might want to move Silas if you notice him getting really worked up over Casper. Try keeping him in a dark quiet place for a little while, a room maybe that is warmer than the rest of the house and isn't used as much so it's kept quiet, that might help him come out of his shell a little. Just give him some time, he's still settling. :)