Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

Question Betta Bottom Feeder?

Almost two weeks, and Beau still seems uninterested in the floating Omega One pellets. I thought maybe he was nervous with me in the room and eating them once I left, but when I cleaned his tank yesterday the evidence showed a lot of uneaten food..sigh. Today when I fed them he just swam back and forth in front of the tank. I waggled my finger near the pellets..nothing. I saw one pellet float down, he went to it, ate it and spit it out. I've seen him skim along the bottom like he's looking for food. Is there any such thing as a "bottom feeding" betta? I know they can go a while without eating, and he seems active, colorful etc. What else can I do? Should I be worried? I was thinking maybe one of those feeding things you put in the tank when going on vacation? Help!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #2 
registereduser

Mine would not eat floating pellets. He preferred the sinking wafers I fed the cory catfish. Then I got some neon tetras and now the betta will only eat the floating MICRO PELLETS for tetras
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #3 
registereduser

are there floating micro pellets for bettas?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
are there floating micro pellets for bettas?
Yes, there are. Such as New Life Spectrum Betta Formula.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

The ones I have float for a certain amount of time, until water logged I guess. I've never had a chance to see them sink until now, my other two bettas don't let them stay in the water more than a few seconds! lol
Old 07-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Do you think the pellets might be to big for him ? Maybe is you could get some extra small ones and see how he does with those. I use New Life Spectrum and Perseus loves them and they are tiny, the only thing is they so sink if he doesnt see it right away to eat so I always try to drop it right in front of him and when I have missed I have seen him go after them and eat them. Perseus likes to skim the bottom of his tank too but not for food he is just playing cause he enjoys the bottom swimming though his caves and just checking it out.

Have you tried the flake food ? I dont know anything about the feeders that goes on the bottom but maybe its worth a try just to see how he reacts to it. Good luck !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Do you think the pellets might be to big for him ? Maybe is you could get some extra small ones and see how he does with those. I use New Life Spectrum and Perseus loves them and they are tiny, the only thing is they so sink if he doesnt see it right away to eat so I always try to drop it right in front of him and when I have missed I have seen him go after them and eat them. Perseus likes to skim the bottom of his tank too but not for food he is just playing cause he enjoys the bottom swimming though his caves and just checking it out.

Have you tried the flake food ? I dont know anything about the feeders that goes on the bottom but maybe its worth a try just to see how he reacts to it. Good luck !
I don't think they are too big because Bella eats them just fine, and she is much smaller than he is. sigh...I tried the flakes too, and he turned his nose up...He probably just needs to settle in some more. It's just tough when you get one that takes a different "route" than the ones you are used to. Buddy and Bella ate fine from day one...Beau has taken a longer time adjusting to me though..he just started coming to the front when I enter the room, so maybe a few more days for the eating thing too. thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #8 
DiiQue

I had a similar problem with my CT until I got the New Life stuff... He gobbled them like a champ. The are small and I guess taste good because prior to the new pellets, he would only eat freeze dried bloodworms.

Last edited by DiiQue; 07-27-2012 at 09:23 PM.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #9 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
I had a similar problem with my CT until I got the New Life stuff... He gobbled them like a champ. The are small and I guess taste good because prior to the new pellets, he would only eat freeze dried bloodworms.
Thanks..I have to find something he'll eat!
Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #10 
mahi

Did you try soaking the pellets in garlic? Supposedly, bettas love that.
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote