Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #11 
GraceStromer

He seems to have gotten worse since yesterday, but I figure the salt really hasn't had a chance to work in one day. How long until I see some improvement? He's really scaring me the way he struggles to get to the top and breathe, and then floats down to the bottom like he's dead. He can barely swim.
GraceStromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

Most likely your cycle isn't stable. best to do atleast a 100% water change/ week, just to be double sure :)

just saw your last post. do you maye have a 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon container that is clean?
if so please use that.
I'm assuming it is summer on your side, so temperature shouldnt really be a problem, but you be the judge.
Change the water out everyday.
With aquarium salt, make sure you pre- dissolve it first in conditioned water before using.

When changing water, match the new water temperature to the old. the best way to do this is to have a spare 1 gallon bottle on hand, and age the water for a day, where it will be ready for the next water change.

Other wise you can mix hot and cold water to the right temperature.

Keep the water shallow, so the poor thing can breath. or give him one of the ornaments that you have that is high and he can rest on it, close the the water surface....
Let me know how it goes :/

If you can, buy some stress coat...I would also mail you some IALs... but it would probably need to be mailed express...

Last edited by ao; 08-05-2012 at 10:22 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #13 
GraceStromer

Thank you so much. I don't have a clean 1 gallon tank to put him in, but I can make the water more shallow. I'm not sure it'll help him though because while I was changing the water today he was in a small bowl and he couldn't even get to the top of that to breathe. At this point it's kind of a waiting game.... there's not really any more I can do right now since I'm nowhere near a pet store. I think today will have to be the turning point, he'll either die or get better within these 24 hours.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #14 
GraceStromer

Hey everyone- Thank you so much for the advice and everything you did to try to keep Alpha alive. He died this morning after I changed his water. I think I just caught this too late. This doesn't discourage me from getting another, and I think I will soon, but I will just be better prepared next time.