Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

hi there! you have a mirror? show the guys his reflection and see if he colors up :)
if the striped fish was him from before then, I dont think you have to worry :) color is good and the white may just very well be his patternin
edit: lookig at it again, it looks like a scar from before :) I think he's ok

Last edited by ao; 08-03-2012 at 01:16 PM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #12 
jaecher

it seems like they dont carry the new NLS at pet smart..
jaecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #13 
jaecher

yes, i got a small mirror, i do use on him and he would react with the mirror. And i don't know if it could be a scar, he never gotten in a fight.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #14 
jaecher

my betta is active, he don't sound sick at all, could the white patch be a wound or something? and also FYI, like 3 monthes ago when he was like 1 inch, small, i put him in my 10 gal tanks with all my other bettas, like 10 females, 4 males( they get along) they dont fight:) i turned the heater on too high at night to get rid of the parasite on my bettas and the next morning all my betta die(temperature was 98 degrees):( the heater didn't have that thingy where you set the temperature to, so all my betta die except him and his brother who were the smallest one, who survive. so could this accident be involve with his white patch on his head? Also, his brother has a very small white patch on his stomach? is it scale lost that both of them are having? help!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #15 
jaecher

help?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #16 
Coppermoon

The betta in the picture is a female. Her ventrals are not as thick as a Plakat males would be.

The white patch could be several things, but the top 2 that come to mind but would have to be cultured at a lab would be Columnaris or fish TB. I'd be very careful for the time being as far as sticking your hands in the tank. I wish Basement Betta's would have replied, as she knows someone that has dealt with TB and there is a med that you feed to them. It starts with an M (maybe she will see this and post). For Colunmaris...that is a toughy...as an experienced breeder, you'd dab H2O2 directly onto the spot, but as a pet owner, if your NOT careful, you could get it into the gills and it WOULD kill her. I suggest researching both that are listed, and if Basement Bettas see this, I hope she replies. She has done a lot of research and is very knowledgeable on this....I've often asked her why she didn't go into Marine Biology :)
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #17 
jaecher

Actually the Betta is a male. He is just small so you can't recognize the gender yet. Most small bettas look like females but he is actually a male, him and his brother. Also, their parents was giant plakats. Their dad and mom was from thailand.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #18 
jaecher

I bred Betta(plakats) and those were frys when I got them.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #19 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaecher View Post
Actually the Betta is a male. He is just small so you can't recognize the gender yet. Most small bettas look like females but he is actually a male, him and his brother. Also, their parents was giant plakats. Their dad and mom was from thailand.
If it's so small then how could you recognize? Or are you just guessing?
I'm sorry your Betta's sick BTW.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #20 
Coppermoon

At 4 or 5 months old you can tell the difference. I have not had giants, so I'll take your word that they are male.
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote