Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #1 
Irishdancer

What toys would you recommend?

I'm looking to get Spock a new toy because I caught him biting his tail and I think it's out of boredom (he's been more energetic ever since I changed his diet). He does have a decoration and two plastic plants in his tank, but he doesn't pay attention to them.

He seems to like things that move. Like if I put touch the tank, he'll follow my finger, and he'll snap at the water that comes out of the water filter, and he LOVES when he can see the fish in the other tanks (but the others don't like that, so I have to put paper between their tanks). I tried putting a mirror next to the tank to he could play with his reflection, but he didn't seem to notice.

Can anyone recommend a toy you think he'd like? His tank is between 1.5 and 2 gallons.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #2 
vP H O T O Nv

Bottle caps that have some sort of treat in them. Let them float if he attacks it then knocks out the worms he will realize there are treats.

I don't really know about your fish but delta really enjoyed me putting the betta cup in his tank to aclimate the snail to his waters temp.
If you fish doesn't stress much after a decor change then just change it around during your next 100% water change. Did that with delta he loves his new changes.
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #3 
jCo72

^^ those are all good ideas. I never thought about hiding food in the bottle cap.

I've heard of people attaching a button to a piece of string and hanging that down from a bottle cap, although my betta did not like it one bit so I took it out.

I've also heard people using ping pong balls to just float around the top so the betta can push them around.

Not sure if your betta would like either of these. I think the bottle cap with treats in it is a great idea.
jCo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #4 
BettaQi

My girls like Training Time.

I use the little red wand that came with their pellets and lead them around the tank like it was an obstacle course.

When they successfully bite the end of the wand, they get a bit of flake or pellet.

I googled how to train your betta fish on you tube and also want the r2fishschool kit!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #5 
Meggie6347

Not an actual toy I guess, but my betta LOVES the frogbit in his tank. He likes swimming in and out of the roots and builds bubble nests in them
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #6 
Irishdancer

I've tried the bottle caps. He'll play with it if I move it around, but he won't move it around on his own. The other day when I cleaned his tank, I moved around all his decorations, and I guess it helped because there's no new damage to his tail and it's starting to grow back. I think next time I go to the pet store, I'll get him some decoration thing that he'll be able to go inside.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

I've seen people use hamster tubes as tunnels for their fish. It seems to give them a little cave to hide in plus a little bit of exploration time.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

floating Betta log big tank heavily planted.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Live food will help like daphnia or flightless fruit flies fish love hunting.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #10 
teeneythebetta

I have heard some people use a ping pong ball.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote