Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #11 
hannguyen

I got a 5 gal tank from Tetra. Tetra Crescent Aquarium Kit, 5-Gallon. I put the filter in low. :( So should I use AQ salt ?
hannguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #12 
hannguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
Steer clear of Bettafix, Melafix, Pimafix, and anything else with -fix. It contains tea tree oil, which causes damage to the labyrinth organ, which is how bettas breathe.

Pristine warm water and maybe some AQ salt is all you need. Be careful not to salt for more than 10 days. Because of this, I choose not to use salt for my chronic tailbiter. Up to you though.
So should I use Bettafix :( I don't know what to do then. That's all that I have. I also have AQ Salt but how to use it ?? Do I have to do WC everyday ?? Thank you!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #13 
MSG

Han, did you look at the link I included before? Just treat your betta in a smaller tank.

Just use the AQ salt ONLY & conditioned water.
  1. Put him back in your original tank. Don't fill it with water all the way halfway is more than sufficient.
  2. 1tsp (teaspoon) aquarium salt = every gallon of conditioned water.
  3. Make sure the salt is fully dissolved first.
  4. Then add the pineapple house, and give him 1 pellet as a reward after you move him to the original tank.
  5. The frayed fins should heal in a day or two. Make sure to remove the presents your betta leaves on the bottom if you have time.

Redecorate your tank. Move the filter so it shoots water out ONLY on one side of the tank.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #14 
hannguyen

Okay! Thanks MSG. I've been using bettafix for about 3 days ! But I'll do that and see how it works !
Old 08-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #15 
jCo72

My fish has the same problem! I've actually posted about it twice before and never got an answer as to what to do so I am so happy that I found this thread! (I'm posting so I can follow it easier ) I'm going to also give it a try. I currently have my fish in a 5 gallon tank and I thought his filter may be too strong. I baffled the out-flow side but the intake side was never touched. He hangs out near the intake though, could that have caused the similar problem? I just bought a 10 gallon tank for him and I'm worried that the new tank will have even worse of a flow so I'll have to figure something else out for him.

Edit: I just read part of the thread that MSG linked to. It answered my question about the intake tube. (Answer was that the intake tube can cause damage too.)

Last edited by jCo72; 08-05-2012 at 03:40 AM.
jCo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #16 
Kim

The easiest way to make sure the intake tube is safe is to wrap it in nylon. I do this for all my betta tanks regardless of the filter brand, and I've even done it with the whisper in tank filters- just wrap the entire bottom. For a regular intake tube you could also cut a hole in a piece of sponge and stick that on instead; plus this gives the added benefit of increasing the surface area your beneficial bacteria can colonize.

If all else fails and your filter is still too powerful, you could always replace it with a sponge filter as these are probably the safest for long fins.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #17 
ANHEL123

Hey how is your betta? Just want to make sure that you stopped aq salt treatment. Like Maura wrote in her thread it only for 10 days or sometimes you can use it up to 14 days in certain cases.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #18 
hannguyen

He is healing. But not completely! I will put some pictures up !
Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #19 
lelei

Hi, I am not sure if you have tried this, but I have used some Amazon Sword plants to keep my Crimson out of the current, and so he won't get caught in the intake, and It has worked, I noticed his fins started to frey..and I knew It was the filter, I have a 5 gallon as well, came with a "Mighty Might" filter..and I beleive It only shoots water out, but because bettas love being curious they go to the filter intake, but AQ salt and warm clean water will help to regrow the fins, you could even do the warm water without salt for the first 3 days, salt may not be necessary..but do not use the "FIX" medicines..they will cause problems..

also just to add, I have the Pinapple decoration, and the Flowerball in 3 of our fishy's tanks..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #20 
lelei

OH, and you could use some Stress coat..it helps regrow fins..I have used for all my rescues..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote