Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #1 
acecert

Exclamation Tank Decorations Ripping Fins

I have a beta who's tail was beautiful...and I 'd like to keep it that way. I have attached 2 pictures. The first in his purchased container where you can see his tail is very even on the outside and a second, where it was beginning to have rips in it. I changed the gravel to the large marble smooth pebbles, only had silk plants and silicone coral. I noticed after changing all this that his tail still was becoming more ripped (not pictured) so something (maybe it all) was ripping his tail still. So, I took out everything except for the silicone pink coral and noticed his tail still getting worse. So, now he has nothing but the large smooth marble pebbles. I'd like to dress up the tank but all what I have read says use silk plants and smooth items that won't run a pantyhose. I had silk plants and soft silicone items and his tail was ripping further. Does anyone have any suggestions/success for what type of decorations they can use that will not affect the beauty of their betta's tail? He's healthy and it doesn't look to be fin rot based on the way the tail looks to be shredding deeper in places than others. Thanks for your help!!
Attached Images

acecert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #2 
lelei

Hello and Welcome, I have the same stones, but not sure about that purple plant, looks soft, and if you did the pantyhose test should be fine, but some bettas no matter what do sometimes rip their fins, and it could be from over flaring, they tend to pull the fins, more than normal, also could be biting, altho, I don't see a curved looking chunck..so I have used several different plants, mostly silk, and real I would try to get some real ones,

I have learned plastic, no matter how soft still rip, if your fishy likes that particular plant and spends more time with it.. I just had to take one out, the other day..for just that reason..I have a 12-13 in tall Red Silk plant that I got at Petco, both of my fishy's favorite,

I tried to change up the tanks, but they both love the same type of plants..so they both have the same decor..lol..it what makes them happy..it makes me happy:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote