Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #1 
SteveS

New Owner, won't eat flakes?

I've had him for a few days, pet store said he was on pellets, i bought nutrafin max for bettas, its a flake. The flakes will sit on top and he will just watch them, I have yet to see him eat any.

Also, how do I know whats enough? There are still some sitting on the bottom from the previous day that he hasn't touched.

Thanks
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Take them out if he will not eat them you do not want them laying on the bottom like that it will make your water bad. Try the pellets instead of the flakes. 2 or 3 pellets in the morning and at night.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #3 
MadameDesu

Agreed. Most betta tend to dislike flakes, and since he was used to eating them at the store, he'd probably prefer them.
I feed mine 3 Tetra Betta Floating pellets in the morning.
I recommend a floating pellet :)
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #4 
SteveS

Okay i'll make the switch and see how he does. Thanks so much!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #5 
lelei

Bettas need something to chew..and flakes are like soggy cereal not appetizing..but with their smaller mouths, you will need to look for micro pellets, the Omega one, or hakari gold micro are some of the better ones out there, and New life Spectrum, are great, also the hakari gold float, and you will have less mess in the tank as well.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #6 
SteveS

Yeah i've seen some nice specialty pellets at the store for betta's which i was going to buy but the salesmen convinced me to get the more expensive flakes with colour enhancing properties.

There's a few pinches of flakes just sitting on the bottom of my tank now, so off to get a siphon as well! :)
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #7 
MadameDesu

Definitely invest in a gravel siphon/vacuum. They suck up all the nasties.
And yeah, floating pellets are awesome. You know exactly how much to feed and end up with no extra food (and therefore extra ammonia) on the tank :)

Welcome to the betta hobby!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #8 
SteveS

My list of things to buy is getting bigger and bigger, I thought $100 was going to be enough when i first walked into the pet store haha.

Okay perfect. Thanks :) the last time I had fish I had about 10 plus a little crab in a 20 gallon and they lasted me years until the tank broke and I donated them. Buttttt, I recently came into a 75 gallon tank from family and im DIEING to fill it but i need to make sure I have the time so ill slowly upgrade perhaps. :) or my little betta buddy can have a mansion of a home.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #9 
mkayum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Yeah i've seen some nice specialty pellets at the store for betta's which i was going to buy but the salesmen convinced me to get the more expensive flakes with colour enhancing properties.

There's a few pinches of flakes just sitting on the bottom of my tank now, so off to get a siphon as well! :)
You can return the betta flake food (you would tell the employee that you wasn't satisfied because the fish won't eat it.) and get the good quality betta food like New Life Spectrum betta formula
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418X3GAbuDL.jpg

75 gallon tank?! Oh my! This little guy are so lucky to have you! You would want to buy more plants to make it a natural home for your betta fish!
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #10 
MadameDesu

75 gallons?!? Wow! I would totally turn that into a sorority tank ASAP, but that's just me.
Post some pictures in the picture thread if you haven't already.