Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #1 
prodrumernate

Unhappy im so confused,,cycling!

my ammonia is at 0.nitrate at 0.nitrite about 2 though im kinda confused on the color..

using API master test kit.

4th week in cycle.ammonia and nitrate and nitrite have dropped.i had good readings..fish in cycle,10 gallon.HOB filter and moving bed DIY filter.gravel,real and fake plants.

any ideas why i still have nitrite but no nitrate or even a trace of ammonia now?im so confused
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #2 
prodrumernate

some pix of the tank and my results.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #3 
ngrubich

You still have a little bit to go in your cycle from what I am reading. At this point in the cycle, you'll mainly want to watch for the drop in nitrite (the test will read blue) and a rise in nitrate.
The residual ammonia in the tank could be due to overfeeding (how often are you feeding the fish? you may have to go down to once a day).
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #4 
prodrumernate

i thought i was having problems.i know the nitrate is low because of my live plants.my ammonia is low most of the time and has been at 0 for the past week.ive been saying its at 0.25ppm on the ammonia just to say it has some.my dad says he keeps reading 0.

i feed the fish twice a day.but earlier looked at them and determined i need to cut back and feed once a day due to the fact they r gaining a little too much weight.they are rosy red minnows.cheap little feeder fish.but will keep as tank mates as well with my male betta.

i thought something was wrong with my nitrates dropping so fast and there not being any ammonia.so i tried feeding a little more to add ammonia.ill go with ur advice and cut back on the feeding.hopefully the cycle will be done very soon.with my nitrites dropping like they did.5ppm down to about 0.50 or so over night.it seems it should drop again tonight.and i wont feed the fish since i fed them earlier :)

thank you for the advice and confirming things.now im not confused and can help some1 else in the same situation as me :)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #5 
MSG

I can't really tell what kind of live plants you have, but they don't look like the variety that SOAKS up huge amounts of ammonia & nitrates.

You have 4 live plants, in the rock/water bottle containers, correct?

Oh yeah, have you checked the window on the house? On the 2nd floor balcony, I think even my smallest girls would get STUCK trying to climb out that little window
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #6 
prodrumernate

they are red ludwigia..its actually 2 plants per container.and yes ur right about the material.its easier to move around if i need to clean/transport.i just moved into another apartment :)

im on the second floor but my window is far from my window.and its actually on a balcony. hidden by other apartments. :)
Old 08-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #7 
MSG

About the windows, I was referring to your aquarium tank decoration. I think your house decoration's top floor would be a trap for any non baby betta.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #8 
prodrumernate

oh haha sorry.i was wondering y u mentioned up stairs..so i was just guessing about sunlight...my past girls had no problem going in nd out of it.even 1 that was extremely fat.she got thru it..but not only a male will be there.he has other hiding places as well.