Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #1 
zdemers

I want to learn how to properly care for my fish.

Kazushi Sakuraba is almost a year old. It has come to my attention that I have not been taking proper care of him. When I was given my fish, the gift giver told me that it was low maintenance and that as long as i gave it two pellets a day and changed the fishbowl once a week or so all would be well. I noticed my fish's health decline over the past few months and decided to google it, apparently i had been horrendously misinformed on how to care for a fish. I believe Saku may be suffering from fin rot right now, white tipped, clamped fins.. Today I went out and bought a bigger tank, with a filter. Is it too late for him and I to start anew?

Can somebody provide me with a list of things I should go buy tomorrow at the store to begin to properly care for Saku?
zdemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Pet stores... Digusting. Here I'll say what I know:
Food: Bettas need a high protein diet and variety. You should get Betta specific food, unless other foods have a greater ingredient label. For a staple, pellets are best for Bettas, I suggest New Life Spectrum Betta Formula. Pellets are much better than flakes since you can choose how much you want to feed. You should give variety, such as frozen bloodworms once a week as a treat. To make sure he doesn't fat up, fast once a week. Technically, don't feed him for a day. These are the basics of feeding so post if you have more questions of it.

Tank Size: People have argued about the minimal. It ranges from 1-2.5 gallons. I think 1 gallon is the minimal since ammonia can build up too quickly.

Water Changes: If your tank isn't filtered, I suggest 1 50% and 1 100% per week. This way, ammonia would not build up as quickly. If your tank IS filtered, I suggest 2 50%s per week. Don't do 100% changes in filtered as most of the bacteria will die off.

Temperature: Bettas are tropical fish and need heaters if your living space isn't warm and fluctuates. The best temperature for Bettas is 78F-80F.

Bettas aren't low maintenance pets. They need proper care as of any animal. The point is, nothing is 'Low Maintenance'. Just don't listen to any pet store advice. You should also research before you take care of any animal. Whether a little bug, to a mighty dog.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #3 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdemers View Post
Kazushi Sakuraba is almost a year old. It has come to my attention that I have not been taking proper care of him. When I was given my fish, the gift giver told me that it was low maintenance and that as long as i gave it two pellets a day and changed the fishbowl once a week or so all would be well. I noticed my fish's health decline over the past few months and decided to google it, apparently i had been horrendously misinformed on how to care for a fish. I believe Saku may be suffering from fin rot right now, white tipped, clamped fins.. Today I went out and bought a bigger tank, with a filter. Is it too late for him and I to start anew?

Can somebody provide me with a list of things I should go buy tomorrow at the store to begin to properly care for Saku?
Uh oh. But no, it's not too late. How big is the tank he's in right now? And what kind of water do you use (spring, distilled, tap)? It's good that you have a filter, just make sure the flow isn't too strong for your betta.

Since you think he has fin rot, I would pick up some aquarium salt from the pet store. Aquarium salt helps with external health issues. Follow the directions on the package, but only use the salt for 10 days. You shouldn't do it for more than 10 days because then it can actually cause trouble with your fish. But for ten days it will promote fin regrowth, along with clean water. His fins may be clamped, too, do to stress. Provide him with a nice, stress-free environment to recover in (again, clean water, and a fake plant to hide/rest in).

A heater helps bettas heal quicker too, since they thrive in tropical temperatures (around 80 degrees F)..

Pick up some additional nutrition. In addition to betta pellets, I would recommend getting some frozen bloodworms from the pet store's frozen section. These can be fed twice a week, but you'll need to thaw the worms and only feed one per feeding. The protein will help keep your fish in good health.

Continue research on proper betta care to get a better idea of it. Good luck to you and your fish throughout his recovery.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #4 
teeneythebetta

You can take a look at my website: http://bettacarecentral.weebly.com/basic-care.html

Hope this helps! :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #5 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
You can take a look at my website: http://bettacarecentral.weebly.com/basic-care.html

Hope this helps! :)
Awesome website!!
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
Awesome website!!
Thank you!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote