Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #1 
Kelly0727

Little girls mixed signals

Ok so I have been hesitating on posting a thread to ask this question since I didn't want to spam with noob questions but I'm desperate! I have read the stickies over 20 times each, and not to mention stalked everyone on this forum. But my problem is My little girl doesn't show her bars due to her color.

I condition them a month before trying, feeding 3 times a day Morning is 2 pebbles of the TopFin Betta bits, lunch would be blood worms and dinner would be another 2 betta bits. I also cleaned their water everyday. 100%

I've tried spawning them twice in the past three months, the first time she flared at him a bit until finally calming down, which I have read is a bit normal. Afterwards she would try to follow him in the tank so I let her out of the jar (this was maybe 10 hours after first introducing them)

After he nipped her for the first time she ran off stayed in the farthest corner of the tank and stayed there. It was like that for three days so I figured she lost interest. I conditioned them for another month, this time her head was down when he approached her in the jar but fins didn't clamp. She still flared a little but not as much as the first time and occasionally tried to follow him. Since she was less active I was thinking she wasn't interested..

Although since my mother said to give it a try but to watch them like a hawk I did. It was better than the first time, It started out good she would go to the nest once in a while head down, but fins weren't clamped and even after he chased her a few times she still occasionally went back. But the next day it was back to the farthest corner.

My male has been going nuts over this as well! He goes crazy over her! He will build this giant nest, show off with his dance and try to impress her and sadly both times went to a waste.

So I am wondering if maybe I am missing signs? Conditioning them wrong?

The spawning tank had a couple live plants in it, along with fake plants to help give her hiding spaces I also added two Indian almond leaves. Plus the temperature is between 82-84 degrees. I have the lid on as tight as possible (except for one corner due to the heaters cord) and half a foam cup even though I didn't expect my male to use it (he hates them). Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. And sorry for such a long post

- The nervous beginner breeder
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #2 
Fasht

Try leaving them in the spawning tank longer than 3 days. My current spawn took 3 days before he actually started building a nest and another 2 days before they actually start spawning. Sometimes it takes longer for the female to actually have the courage to come out and present herself. Even after that, the male's nest might not be ready either when he starts chasing her after he built his nest. He could probably detect that the female's eggs are not ready eventhough she's trying to present herself.

These are some things that I experience from breeding twice. It might not be acurate but that's I view things in my spawn.
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #3 
Kelly0727

Fasht I believe your spawn log is one of the ones I was stalking. You sure did make it seem easy..

Do you think I have been reading her signs correctly? I'm going to give it one more go on the 13 or 14th since that will be another month conditioned. That is if I can talk myself out of thinking that I'm doing something wrong.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #4 
KadenJames

You could try leaving them longer like Fasht said (unless he is aggressively beating the living daylights out of her 24/7), or you may try another pair. Sometimes a pair will not "click," their personalities may be too different, or there's just some reason why they aren't willing to spawn each other.

What is your goal for this spawn? What kind of bettas do you have? Do you have a backup pair of the same line?
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #5 
Kelly0727

Well round one, I panicked because she had or at least looked like a small head injury that's when I took her out for round one. I will try leaving them in longer and if it doesn't work out I guess I will have to try another pair.

For this spawn I was hoping to be able to improve the their fins to be more like my female but with the males blue color (the male in my avatar) They are both Halfmoons. I don't have another pair from the same line, I got them off of Aquabid from Chard and it never hit me that I would need to get more than one pair until 3 weeks ago when I started looking on aquabid again.

I was planning to have a backup pair but for a different line.. But was going to wait until September when its a little cooler outside in florida to ship.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #6 
Fasht

I honestly didn't condition my spawn that long. I probably gave them 3 days max then Introduced my pair right away lol. I also don't have any backup males or females so my pair should definitely have to spawn no matter what, and they do.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #7 
Kelly0727

You only conditioned them for 3 days?? Wow.. see I told you.. you make it look easy! lol I'm also stalking your current spawning log :) I'm wondering if I should go ahead and give my pair another try since I went ahead and leaned out the spawning tank and got it all set up again.

Think I should?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #8 
Fasht

Why not? It's third's time the charm, just try to leave them in the spawning tank longer, a week should be fine. If they run and tag each other, that's natural. If they really are trying to kill each other like none stop chasing around then they really might not be compatible. Make sure that theres just a lil amount of light in the tank while in the courting process. Then you need to have the light on always till the fry are free swimming. Make sure you feed the fry as well once they enter the free swimming stage. You'll be fine, just don't worry about them too much. Let them do their thing and they will. Btw keep feeding to minimum like 2 pellets a day once you put them in the spawning tank.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #9 
Kelly0727

Well like you said third times the charm. :) I have her in her special jar which is actually a round betta tank from petco, and surprisingly shes following him in circles. (Go figures shed do that after I freak out and post on here) Maybe she just has a spicy attitude.. She still occasionally "flares" at him but then goes back to moving back and forth at lighting speed in his direction.

I was wondering if maybe at night I should turn their light off and keep my 60 gallon light on. It's bright enough to light up my room. So I figured it would give them the small amount of light they need?

Got the fry food covered for the most part. I have BBS that I will be starting as soon as they hatch. I had my worms but my cultures suddenly crashed so I have to order some more. Thankfully I remember the seller on eBay and know that it will only take a day or two to get the cultures going again :) Now to just get my paypal working again..
Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Another thing you might try is the shock method- if they are not successful with leaving them longer together and I do agree that is a good idea....Sometimes they need more time together in the spawn tank and less time conditioning.

Anyway, to condition-move them to small separate containers and placed so they can't see each other or any fish for that matter-neither in the spawning tank.
Mass feed them live mosquito larva if you have access or really good quality varied diet-pellets, flake, frozen, freeze dried etc....For one week- and allow them to see each other for about 3-5min each day.
Live foods can get them ready to spawn really fast-Instinct tells them to reproduce when they have a lot of food available.
Keep a light on them for 12h/day and dark for 12h/day
Let their water get cool-in the 75-76F range and limit water changes to about 50% every other day-using heavy tannin stained premixed water of like temp.

Get your spawning tank ready in the mean time-temp 80-82F-add more-tannins and live plants or soft silk plants really dense in most of the tank-Leave the area that you want the nest free of any plants-You want lots and lots of cover to the point that it is hard for the male to get through it very easy-but the female can. This will create a natural divider to prevent premature egg drops.
Use a whole IAL or dried Oak leaf to float in the area you want the nest-sometimes a male will use/like a more natural object to use for nest anchor or if you have water lettuce to float or even a sword plant leaf-they love these type of things to nest under-plus you will have the added benefit of microorganism that will develop for the fry.

After 5-7 days of mass feeding-let them see each other and respond-then drop both in the spawning tank at the same time to give them a shock-their container temp at 75-76F and spawning tank at 80-82F-As long as they are healthy they should be fine-at first they will be stunned-then they should start pre-spawn behavior....I usually will have spawn within the hour using the shock method with my hard to spawn breeders-but I also use mass amounts of mosquito larva to help get them ready.

If you don't want to do the shock method-add the male first in the AM and the female in a container then release her at light out. You might wake up with eggs in the nest.....

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote