Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #11 
Kelly0727

Thank you so much! I will be writing that down in my notes. I have a feeling even if this time is a success their fry will have their stubbornness and I might need to try the shock method. For now just going to be keeping a good eye on them even if she is still in the jar/tank.

Never fed mosquito larva before.. but cant be to hard to get some since Florida is covered in mosquitoes.
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

I like to use a brine shrimp net or fine mesh net to collect the mosquito larva of all size and then I will rinse them under low flow running water-then I place them in a small amount of fresh dechlorinated water and use an eyedropper to target feed to the Bettas.
I mass feed the larva several times a day-I don't count but if I had to give a number I would say it is about 10-15 more or less-depending on the size of the larva and the Betta-I dump large amounts of the tiny larva in my fry tanks at least 1-2 times a day and for the breeders 2-3 times a day and 3-4 times a day the day before I plan to spawn them and a healthy amount right before I dump them in the tank together.

Mass amount of live mosquito larva can really stimulate/trigger reproduction behaviors....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #13 
Kelly0727

You feed the larva? What do you feed them? Clearly im going to have to do some research on that..
Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #14 
Fasht

You don't have to feed the larva, they live in stagnant water, they can get their food from the water. You can always make your own mosquito larva farm. I have one and they work out great. There's always a good source of food for my betta.
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #15 
Kelly0727

I will have to start doing that. Also I just let my girl out of the jar a couple hours ago since grizzle made a big bubble nest and was focusing more on her than the nest. It went great for the first couple hours she showed interest and even took a sneak peak when he went to the other side of the tank to look for her.

He's nipped her a couple times, making her look like a Double tail now. But now its back to staying in her corner again. He will come and find her.. the nipping and chasing continues but when he swims back she goes back to her corner. Will probably leave her in for a couple days.. But keeping an extra close eye. (To afraid to sleep now)
Old 08-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #16 
Enkil

If this time doesn't work, I recommend the shock method as well. I used it with my HMPKs and they had a huge spawn.
My girl takes about a week to get nicely plump with eggs. I feed my pair NLS betta pellets, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and live/frozen mosquito larvae.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #17 
Kelly0727

WIll probably try the shock method but it will have to be a while from now. I woke up and checked on them. They have taken a lot out of each other. More him than her though.

Good news though, she is acting submissive now! It just seems to to afraid to get to the nest. She'll get close and he will do his wiggle dance, but then she darts off out of sight again. She is looking a bit thinner than last night, but I cant see any eggs in the nest. So I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

Should I leave her in since he still does the wiggle dance? Or take her out and hope theres eggs in that nest?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

If the male isn't tending or looks to be mouthing something in the nest-most likely you don't have eggs-especially if he is still flirting with her.

Sometimes you can use a flashlight and look up into the nest and see the eggs.

If not....I would leave her-
Unless she is wore out and never coming out or she is keeping her head in the corner either at the surface or the bottom, panting, clamped...etc.....leave her-It not uncommon for it to take several day or for either to have ripped fins-missing scales...etc.....as long as she doesn't look near death...leave her.
Not uncommon for it to look like they are going to spawn-they are under the nest, she is head down, may or may not have clamp fins and then Bam...he hits her and the game of tag starts over-the chase is part of the pre-spawn behavior for some and for others its not...It can vary from spawn to spawn even with the same breeder....They do love to keep us on our toes....lol....

Have patience.....
Old 08-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #19 
Kelly0727

Thank you OFL, until you mentioned the flashlight I didnt even think about that! I just checked, I cant see eggs when I look under but I can when I look ontop of the nest! I'm going to take her out and give her blood worms as a special treat once she settles back into her home :)

I couldnt sleep to save my life last night and finally fell asleep around 8am.. So worried that grizzled would kill her.. turns out shes more of a nipper than he is! He's missing most of his dorsal fin and big chunks of his caudal fin. Which sucks because I just got his caudal fin fulled healed from when he decided to have a bitting fit. Oh well.

Super happy! Thank you for helping me through my first time (and my lack of nervous patience) I sure hope all goes well from here on.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Awesome....Congrats......look forward to seeing pics and following their growth/development....