Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #1 
hb1547

How long to use aquarium salt for fin rot, and when/if to resume

I've been treating my betta's fin rot using the aquarium salt treatment suggested in the sticky, and after a couple of days his fins are already showing improvement.

The sticky says not to continue the salt treatment for more than ten days. I was wondering what my plan should be after the 10 days? Normally I keep my betta in a larger tank with a (friendly) platy, but I isolated him to treat the rot. Should I continue to keep him isolated and do very-frequent water changes until his fins are fully back? Should I resume the salt treatment at some point?
hb1547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

How many days has it been? If you are seeing them growing back, I'd leave him in for a few days. Then do a 50% change with fresh water (no salt) and the next day add him back into his show tank. His fins should continue growing back in the main tank now that he is doing better.
Do not use salt again for at least 2 weeks. After two weeks, if his fins are rotting again then use salt, otherwise just leave him be.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #3 
lelei

I was using the salt treatment for approx 6-7 days, I saw dramatic improvement, I am not currently using salt at this time just 100% water changes every other day...and Stress coat..and I still see growth..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote