Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

OMG so sorry don't share anything between your male and female i will try to pm a few people to help you.
I read on this forum that sometimes you can use Epsom salt and aq salt together.
I still think it might be internal parasites. What temperature do you have them in?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #22 
ANHEL123

Hey i just PMed someone- Oldfishlady. She is very knowledgeable and know a lot . A lot of people on this forum learned from her. Wait for her response.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 08-13-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #23 
glutenfreemama

Thank you so much for any help or advice.
I want to help them and am so tired of people in my life telling me they are just fish and flush them. It makes me so mad and sad at how people think. Their life has value as do all things. Sorry. Just a small rant.

I have the temperature at 78. When I started to increase it early in this disease process I had it up to 84 and the white stuff got worse. I've been nervous to adjust it. Especially since the slight temp change during water Changes Stresses him. I forgot to mention he also gasps for about 5 minutes each. Change when he is sideways at the bottom.
glutenfreemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #24 
ANHEL123

So sorry. I spoke to Oldfishlady and i am going to put her answer so you can see our conversation. I will put a few post to let you see what she wrote. How i understood we diagnosed him correctly but the bad is that gill flukes is more difficult to treat then just ich on the body and you probably need medications and i am afraid it too late. I would continue salt with 78*. And i sent pm to someone else who also knowledgeable about medications. So sorry. And don't pay attentions to people who tell you it just a fish. Just disregard them you doing so wonderful job to help your pets. I would do the same. I love my fish as much as i love my dog.

I am going to post conversations so you can read , and i text someone ask about medications.

And i would really start aq salt on your girl. I am afraid is she was in the same tank she has it too. Maybe you can save her.

Does she has any other symptoms besides lump? Any white spots, anything new on her gills? Is she bloated?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #25 
glutenfreemama

My girl doesnt seem bloated to me anymore. She has no white spots like the male. The only thing I find odd is she has 2 round patches that are clear. I can't get them to show up in a picture but they are round, about 2-3 mm patches.

I'm not ready to give up on my boy. Am I torturing him with all the water changes?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #26 
ANHEL123

I actually text 2 more people which are knowledgeable on the forum. It just i am long time on this forum . And i know they are great advice people. Unfortunately they both not log in now. So i would still continue to change the water and salt.

I am really worry about the girl since they been in the same tank i am pretty sure she will get them or got them.
So let's wait for response and see. And i still want to put for you what OFL wrote. I am not experiences with gills flukes at all, had no clue.

Also don't worry about water changes. I do 100% water changes for my boys all the time. My youngest betta about 2.8 years with 100% water changes. And i had betta that i bought for someone, and i had him in his little cup for 4 weeks with daily water changes so don't worry about that. The only one think with daily or 100% water changes that you need to keep new water the same temp as his water. So you can take one gall jug and put water conditioner and let it sit for 12-24 hrs for the right temp. I would do 100% water changes for the girl also at this moment until you get advice from another people.

Also i think i already wrote or someone wrote do not share anything between them.

Now i will make a few more post to show you what OFL wrote.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #27 
ANHEL123

Now this is from OFL. But how i understand that gill flukes and just ext parasites on the body little different. I am personally helped someone on this forum with ich . And that person got rid of it with salt in i think 82*. So since we don't know if girl has flukes or just ext parasites i would do salt on her or at least keep doing 100% daily unitll you get the answer from other people.

Question-2 round patches that are clear. I can't get them to show up in a picture but they are round, about 2-3 mm patches. Thosw patches is something new ? You sure she didn't have them before?

OFL response:

I went through the 3 threads she has made and everything I would recommend has been done-Except for one thing...Manual removal of what looks like external parasites-possible Flukes and if not done properly it can kill the fish especially when they are in the gill area and the manual removal removes too much of the gill itself...the fish will die within an hour....so I don't like to recommend that-Other than that- the only other option is a strong pesticide and I don't use nor recommend them....I would PM Sakura since she has more knowledge of the medications/pesticide than I do...

I have another question about her other fish (female). She doesn't treat her yet. She is active and eating.Would you recommend to start aquarium salt treatment along with increasing the temperature on her as soon as possible? Since both of them were in the same tank i would assume she has it too?

Also if she will continue aquarium salt and raise the temp 86* it not going to help to her male at all? Is that correct? Is it too late?Its really hard to say, generally all the salt is going to do or what it is used for is for the wounds left from the external parasite after it detaches. The salt itself may not do much for the parasite. Some parasites the salt can help to kill them-but not so much with flukes if that is what it is. What I do for fluke is manual removal-but like what I said earlier-it can be risky to remove them especially on the gills and if you don't know what your are doing as well as have the right tools to do the job. I would never recommend it for someone without experience and if a person has to ask-they don't have the experience......Its a hard call....

I am not a big fan of raising the water temp too much with compromised fish since high water temp can help the bad bacteria colonize faster/easier.

With natural treatment you have to treat not just the fish but the system as a whole....
Old 08-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #28 
glutenfreemama

The clear patches have been there for at least 2 weeks. Maybe they have been all along but I am not sure. I just took notices when doing a thorough check of her. its really hard to get a good pic of her because she gets so active when I go up to the tank. i will keep trying in case it helps diagnose anything

Is there anything that might be easier for my male to eat? He seems starving. he is so aggressive trying to get the pellets. He just always seems to miss his mouth and hit them on his nose withen they sink. he has never taken to blood worms or flakes.

Should I be concerned about my adf too?? they seem fine but did share a tank.

Is it strange for gill flukes to start in the nose?

I hope you hear something back soon...i will go straight to the store and get whatever is needed. On hand I have ick clear fizz tabs, fungus guard, aq salt, epsom salt and kanamycin
Old 08-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #29 
ANHEL123

The people that i text i hope will response soon or may be someone else who will see your post will help. But they will response on the main board, not to me personally.

I never had adf so i don't know. But i read a lot of post where betta get sick in the tand and all other fish is fine. Still don't understand why. So i really don't know about adf...

Also i just think if he keep missing pellets i would try flakes . I think it easier because to get. Even if he open his mouth he might get a few. With pellets it more difficult since you have to couch them and if not they sink to the bottom.
It just flakes are messy and contaminate the water but since you doing 100% it fine.

Sorry i am confuses what your male has. It would be nice if it not parasites though. At the beginning i was thinking may be it extra slime coat falling off him. But since now you saying he is gasping for air....i am not experience in that.

At the beginning i put my response only because i thought that gill flukes can be easily treated as external parasites on the body. Because the girl I was helping got rid of them very easy.

I hope we will get answer today....
Old 08-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #30 
glutenfreemama

thank you..
I am just anxious...sorry dont mean to pester you. I just keep thinking of things to mention
Here is a better pic of the bump on the girl and a pic of the male resting on the bottom oddly - this is what he does after water changes and if he isnt resting on his plant
Attached Images