Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #31 
ANHEL123

Sorry i wish i know how to help. I hope someone will come along to help.
Good picture of the girl. Good that she is eating and active. Not sure about round patches you was talking about....where is it, can it be seen on the picture?

I read over the flukes disease link that ivandert posted for you, and that description exactly like your male has, i think.
So i would think if no one know what to do you can check the store medications. I guess it will be medications for external parasites.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #32 
ANHEL123

Hey sorry how it going? I got answer from sakura8. Sorry i think yesterday when i text a few people i forgat to give a link that is why sakura was unable to read your post. But what she answered and i did pm the link-

So, this fish has gill flukes? For certain? Are they visible? When they get bad enough, gill flukes can become big enough to be visible by the naked eye.

For treatment of gill flukes . . . Betta Revive might help, as would API General Cure. I agree with OFL, manual removal of the flukes is not something that should be done by an inexperienced aquarist.

If the natural route, with AQ salt etc, isn't working, it might be time to try a med.

Can you PM me the link to the thread?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #33 
glutenfreemama

Thank you again

I'm I really wondering if they are gill flukes for sure. I am going to pull out my microscope and see what these white things coming off of him l
glutenfreemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #34 
glutenfreemama

Oops. Push the post by accident.

As I was saying....I'll use my microscope to see what it looks like. I'm confused because it all started as a brown spot on his nose that turned white, fell off then started white stuff coming inside out with white eyes.

I kinda hope it's flukes so at least I know and can start treatment.

Lots more white stuff on the bottom of the tank today.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #35 
ANHEL123

Lets wait until sakura8 will see your post. Was you able to feed him? Is he swimming at all or just lethargic?
Also i think you will need to treat the girl since they were in the same tank and it contagious i think, if it is flukes..
Old 08-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #36 
glutenfreemama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Lets wait until sakura8 will see your post. Was you able to feed him? Is he swimming at all or just lethargic?
Also i think you will need to treat the girl since they were in the same tank and it contagious i think, if it is flukes..
I am able to feed him with some patience. He wouldnt go near flakes so I am back to pellets. He occaisionally moves around but not often. He always comes to the surface for meal times and when I approach though.

One thing that seems to be improved abit are his cloudy eyes. The white film is alot less, almost clear. Now I can see a solid white C shape in one???
Old 08-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #37 
Aus

Oh my goodness.

I just caught up with your threads.. poor fish! And poor you! I have not seen anything like this.. the stuff in his nostrils looks like cottonmouth.. acts like cottonmouth (the shedding, getting worse when heat is raised..) but if it didn't respond to Kanaplex at all, I have to doubt that flexibacter/columnaris (or flavobacterium, whatever, it seems to change name every other week) will be the cause. So.. true fungus.. or flukes.. yipes, I wish I could be more help!

I am so sorry about your bettas, I know how you've worried over them and done all you can, it must be horribly frustrating.

Please do share whatever shows up on your microscope? I would love to know what's causing this weird nose/gill stuff..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #38 
ANHEL123

I know i feel so bad. I think it it would be columnaris the girl would already have the same??

Also i think if you still doing aquarium salt just continue. It always better to finish it anyway. And it 10 days course. And i think inordinately continue with water changes.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #39 
Aus

See, this is the thing, Anhel - columnaris manifests in several different ways, from cottonmouth to fin rot, to body 'fungus', breathing distress, septicemia... so many different ways. And it doesn't always infect other fish, and if so not always in the same way. Rotten stuff.

But here, the male's problem hasn't responded one bit to Kanaplex, which is said to be among the best drugs for columnaris. Which means it's probably something else, despite that it really looks like it and gets worse with heat.. Flukes or a true fungus are the only things that make sense to me currently.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #40 
Sakura8

Hi glutenfreemama. I'm so sorry you're going through all this.

From the pics and your description of his symptoms, it sounds like there's a distinct possibility your boy has either gill/skin flukes or anchor worms. I'm leaning toward anchor worms because they are more often visible, whereas flukes have to get quite big before they can be seen with the naked eye.

There are two routes you can go with this. One is the natural route suggested by OFL. Unfortunately, I don't think AQ salt kills anchor worms or flukes as it does with so many other parasites. At most, it will help your boy create enough slime coat that the worms*may* fall off.

For medical treatment you have a few options. A readily available med is API General Cure, which may or may not be effective. If he has gill/skin flukes, it should help but if he has anchor worms, he may need a very potent medication called Clout. Clout kills just about any kind of protozoan imaginable.

Another option to try is a formalin-based medication. Care must be taken not to overdose with either Clout or formalin; the latter is actually a form of formaldehyde. You may need to order these medications online (try www.drsfostersmith.com) or go to a local aquarium store.

Your female may, possibly, have a tumor. :( Is she eating and pooping normally? If she is but she still has that bulge, my best guess is tumor. An affected fish can live comfortable for quite some time with tumors, though. I have two girls right now who have enormous tumors but they are doing well. If you can describe your female's symptoms a little more, I might be able to tell if it's parasitic or not.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote