Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #41 
glutenfreemama

Just checking in for an update, and I have some promising news

I looked at the white under my microscope and all I saw were cells. I also looked at my boy with a 6x magnify glass and can not see any worms. There for I have held off on treatment for it. I'm not saying he doesn't have it but just looking for more clues.

Since he was getting so stressed and unwell every water change I lessened frequency to every other day 100%. Also increased the aquarium salt to 2.5tsp per gallon.

Now here is the interesting part as far as more clues go..........
Yesterday I went to feed him breakfast and was shocked to see a brown clump of tissue hanging out of his affected gill. It was the size of a small pea!!!! I have no idea how something so large could come out of him........I was going to take a pic for all of you but he started his wiggling around as he does everytime I approach. This caused it to come off when it rubbed against his plant. Then another wiggle pushed a smaller pinkish brown piece out.

I obtained the pieces and looked at them under my microscope and can't make anything out of what I see. Just clumps and some small black speck the do not move..( my microscope is not working great to magnify further)

Now for the good news....there has been no other white stuff coming out of his gills!!! ( I am lead to assume it was slime coat/ mucus trying to flush whatever that stuff was out. Also the white across his nose is a lot less and only one 2mm x 1mm piece!! His color has improved a fair amount and His eyes are clearer!!

He still is having some balance issues and trouble catching his pellets but we are definitely in the right direction!!

Thank you for all the ongoing support and I will try to post a pic of the stuff that came from his gills when I am on my laptop because I am not sure how to from my iPad.
glutenfreemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #42 
Sakura8

If he did have gill flukes or skin flukes, his first reaction to the infestation would be to create excess slime coat which can create a thick mucousy appearance at the gills.

It is possible that the brown stuff coming out of his gills was food. Sometimes if the food is too big or if a fish eats like a piggy and somehow swallows wrong, food emerges from the gills. Some fish feed this way, sifting sand for food and then expelling the sand through the gills. If he eats pellets, it could have been a pellet that emerged, bloated up from being in the water.

I am very happy to hear his "tests" came back negative. :D Yay for him!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #43 
BETTACHKALOVE

I would think aquarium salt helping. But usually you need 100% daily water changes for 10 days. I think parasites can get dehydrated from salt. And you can use salt up to 3 tsp/gall. Since you don't do daily water changes i guess you going to prolong the treatment and you can do it up to 13 salt treatments.

Also you saying that he get stressed with 100% water changes. Did you acclimate him?

Another thing usually when you treating for any kind of worms you better to dry out containers he is in between water changes. This way parasites will die without host and dehydrate from salt.

Also i try to follow all post and i think you was doing 25% water changes on 10 gall and 5 gall tank which i think not enough at all. Especially on smaller tanks you need to do more water changes.

Also you have them in the hospital tanks without filter right? I don't think it good idea to use filter now while you treating them.

Am i right Sakura?

How is your girl?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #44 
Sakura8

BETTACHKA, yes, you're right about the not using filter and about the drying out of the containers. At the very least, rinse them in hot water between uses.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #45 
glutenfreemama

I have been using a 2 hospital tanks and alternating them do the other can be rinsed with boiling water and left to dry out. Thanks for the info.

I'm wondering if I should still purchase a parisite remedy? He is about the same as my last update. I'm wondering if the black specs were/are flukes or similar and the rest that is clearing was a secondary bacterial infection?? Any thoughts? Also my females lump has gotten bigger and is started to look pointed with greatly raised scales on it. I'm noting faint stress lines I believe too.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #46 
Sakura8

It is possible your male got fish lice (commonly called argulus) but those do tend to become quite big, much bigger than specks. Otherwise, with the exception of velvet and ich, external parasites are as a rule invisible to the naked eye. You can still get API General Cure and use that, it is a good all-around external parasite med.

:( I wonder if your female has a tumor. Have you perchance fed her any live foods recently, such as live black worms?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #47 
glutenfreemama

That's interesting about the parasites. I might try the api.

For my female I did feed her frozen brine shrimp thawed. Oh and I'm not sure if you read my post about my friend hatched baby brine shrimp from a science kit and when I was away put them all in my betta tank. They were 24hrs old and she put in there eggs and everything!! I was furious and did a 100% change the next day when I found out.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #48 
Sakura8

Oh no! That's terrible! Was it the female's tank that she put them in?

Frozen brine shrimp is perfectly fine. Some times, as I learned the hard way, when you feed some live foods like black worms, they can ball up in the stomach and not be digested properly, causing a bloated point in the belly similar to what you are describing. But brine shrimp won't cause that. Not sure if eating brine shrimp eggs would, though. Have you tried fasting her and putting her in 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon?