Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #1 
PaintedOaksOki

New Bettas?

Well, my first betta, Oki, passed away, not that long ago. Unfortunately I only had him for about 10 months I believe, getting him in October. So I now have an empty five gallon tank, and a spare one hanging around. So, my question is, can I keep three females in a five gallon?

The reason I say three is if I remember that two females isn't a great idea? If I'm wrong correct me! I'm inexprienced with sororities, but I know about betta care in general.

(PS- Oki died because my parents forgot about him while I was gone for three weeks -_- Otherwise he'd still be living )

Thanks for your help!
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #2 
lvandert

No you can't. you need 4+ preferably 5+ to have a sorority and for that you need a 10 gallon or bigger.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #3 
PaintedOaksOki

Thank you! So I can keep 4-5 females in a ten gallon?
I just didn't want to do anything wrong to cause harm to any fish! ;)
Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #4 
PaintedOaksOki

JUST REMEMBERED! I have a spare ten gallon tank! I think I might be getting some females, and get another male in a tank of his own! :D
Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #5 
lvandert

oh yeah a 10 can hold 4-5 girls easy. Make sure its heavily planted (live or fake) and lots of little caves to hide in. Other than that their care is pretty much they same.

Edit: YAY SPARE TANKS!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #6 
PaintedOaksOki

Alright thanks!
One more question while you're around, I was reading the sorority sticky and it says that introduce the least aggresive ones first, well how will I be able to tell which ones are more aggresive than others if I just purchased them?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 
lvandert

I guess place them in cups next to each other and see who flares the least. The only issue I have with that method is the first fish gets a chance to establish territory and then everyone else become and intruder. If you add them all at once no one gets a chance to establish territory and everyone meets one neutral ground. Kinda like introducing aggressive cats and dogs. But I personally don't have a sorority so I can't say. Maybe search the forums for threads involving them and read up on how they did it.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #8 
PaintedOaksOki

Thank you! You seem like you know a far bit about bettas! :D
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #9 
lvandert

lol I've been on here for a while and I read posts almost every day (I have no life at times lol). I try to help out people in anyway I can. I realized real quick I had better learn things I haven't done lol. I have spawned a few pairs and raised some babies, although only a few seem to make it past dad :/ I can definitely say bettas are a passion of mine :)
Old 08-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #10 
PaintedOaksOki

I'd love to do a spawning one day! :p For now I'll probably set up a sorority, and keep my one tank for a male :D and keep the other two as spares, well one has a guppy and live plants in it xD