Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #1 
KadenJames

Talking New Imports for the Mint Dragon Line

I've spent the past several weeks (if not months? o.O) scouring Aquabid, emailing breeders across the globe, and taking trips to local (and not so local) fish shops in search of the foundation for this line. And, finally, I can say I found them!

My first goal was to find a female copper HMPK, which was extremely difficult. (There may be a few from time to time on AB, but none had decent form.) Finally, thanks to MooMoo searching through her entire stock just for me () she managed to find a copper HMPK girl with decent form.
Here she is-

A nice D shaped caudal, a decently parallel anal fin, and a moderately broad dorsal. She's also fully masked, which is a bonus.

On to the next one, I needed a superblack/melano HMPK girl. I needed to find one not only with decent form, but with minimal iridescence. Thanks to Moo (again) for her tireless searching, she found this girl-

Her anal isn't as tight as I'd like, but one look at that dorsal and D-shaped caudal and I was sold. With the perfect amount of iridescence, too! She's going to be used to boost the colors in the Mints, as well as continue on my line of superblacks.

And, finally, I needed to find a blue or green HMPK male. My #1 choice was a royal blue, as it will result in more variety of blues and greens in the offspring. This morning I did my hourly scan of AB for new postings, and came across this guy from TMT-

His anal could come to more of a point, and he has a hint of red in his ventrals, but I was instantly hooked by his perfect caudal, broad dorsal, smooth topline, strong body and gorgeous royal blue color. I finally clicked the "buy it now."

I'm still keeping an eye out for any striking fish that fit into these categories, but seeing as tomorrow is the last day before the Thai shipment, it looks like these three are about to become Americans.

The F1 spawn will be of the copper girl and royal male. Copper crossed with a royal results in metallic steels, royals and turquoise offspring. (Depending on their parents, it may throw some coppers, too.) He's got very dark scaling, so there's the possibility of melano in his genes, which will give me the dark colored fins I need.

I'll be using my superblack line to bring down the darkness of the body/fins as I need. I'm very excited to get started.

Last edited by KadenJames; 08-04-2012 at 12:32 AM.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #2 
bettasusa

very beautiful fish, both Moomoo and TmT have great bettas. Good luck with them and please post photos when you get them settled. :)
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #3 
marktrc

Doesn't it feel like time slows down when you need to wait for 2 weeks of conditioning?
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #4 
KadenJames

-_-

My superblack boy died on me today. (This guy-)

Such a shame, he was one of my favorites. He was a pretty outstanding dad, too. He tended to get sick easily though, which imports are prone to. Poor guy. =/
Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #5 
VictorP

Wow this boy was nice! Had a nice dorsal base and thick bodied :). RIP super black
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #6 
KadenJames

Yeah, he was outstanding. Paired with that superblack girl, they would have made amazing offspring. *sigh* ._.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Very sad to hear that. It always seems like it's your best fish that go early. He was gorgeous and I am not usually a fan of black bettas.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

Oh no! I have a black pair coming that you can have the male when I'm done breeding him!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #9 
choob99

That first girl is amazing in form!!!! you should have a great line going! I'm trying to start a platinum white HM line and have a few coming in but would like to find some better females from someone
choob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #10 
MrVampire181

You probably wouldn't want HMPK but the boy in my avatar produced a nice big spawn with a sibling :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote