Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #1 
Link592

Exclamation Fin rot 3

Hello, I have two Betta's, both males, both live in a tiny tank with a divider. I have a 55 gallon tank I always used, since I had gold fish & so many other fish as a community tank but they all died due to bad information given to us by Pet Habitat workers, anyways I would like to put one of my Betta's in there but one of them does have fin rot, I have no supplies to treat it and the shipment comes in 2 weeks, maybe longer if it gets lost. My betta has barely any fins. How can I get rid of finrot WITHOUT aquarium salt any those type of stuff, again I only have Nutrafin cycle, Nutrafin waste control, Nutrafin Aqua plus & a net & Betta food & tropical flakes. So how can I get the fin rot without that stuff? He barely has any fins lift his back fins are VERY short.....

Should I put him in the 55 gallon tank or should I put my crown tail in the 55 gallon but If I do put him in the 55 gallon tank, I was thinking of getting other fish suitable for him like an African Dwarf frog, 3 - 5 tetras, and that's pretty much it.. But I am worried the other fish will get fin rot, so I really need to get rid of it I am worried he wont make it, he's a strong fella but I don't think he's strong enough as he was. I am ordering a 5 gallon tank as well, it might be 20 gallons the person said it was 20 gallons but it looks like 5 gallons. But anyways, which one would be the best for them and is 55 gallons way to big? The tank is down stairs, it has TWO filters and a heater, a lot of decorations & gravel, a stand, and it's next to the door it does not have a lid since it broke but it is next to our downstairs door I am afriad people might slam the door [This sometimes happens] if one of us our mad [besides me] and it hits the tank [does this sometimes] OR it might get to cold... Anyways, let me know.... I am in really big need of help and I am a new betta owner, I have researched them but my mom has been so busy, and I live far from a pet store I never expected to be this hard. If only my mom wasn't busy.

Please notice, I will not rehome my Betta's to someone else, I had never had my own pet before, I love my betta's and I would take amazing care of them it's just my family is so busy.... All my friends own dogs & cats, most of them forget to even take care of fish, some of them don't even know how.

P.S my other concern with the 55 gallon tank is that there is a mirror in the back, so you know how tanks have backgrounds instead the back is a mirror :L
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #2 
athenr3134

you don't use aquarium salt its Epsom salt only. that was what i was told by so many people. or you can go to petsmart and get betafix. it is made espically for fin rot! hope this helps. thanks
athenr3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #3 
LittleWatty

Ok... I'm by no means an expert here, but I'll help you as best I can.

First off, athenr has incorrect information. Epsom salt is for internal, Aquarium salt is for external. If your fish had internal parasites, I would recommend Epsom salt. However, your fish has fin rot. Aquarium salt is great for that (but only for 10 days at a time, max), but as you had said, you can't really use it since you don't have any. Be wary of any -fix products. Melafix, Bettafix, Primafix. Not all of them are as good as they say, and can damage the labyrinth organ. Not trying to be rude to the other poster, but I wanted to clear that up. Now then...

The easiest way to get rid of fin rot is clean water. I would recommend Stresscoat, but you don't absolutely need it. It just helps. I would definitely try to do 100% water changes daily for the sick betta. It will stress him out, but it's the easiest way to keep the water clean. I would even maybe add a little bit extra water conditioner when you do your water changes (if it adds slime coat). With the condition you're describing, the sooner you can get AQ salt and/or Stresscoat, the better, as they'll be a great help. But, they're not absolutely necessary, even then. Just keep the water clean.

As for the 55 gallon. The size is probably fine, but not all bettas like big tanks. Some of them can get stressed, but you won't know until you try. It would, however, NEED a cover. Whether you just find a piece of plywood to cover it with, or go and get some plexpleiglass. A cover is an absolute must. Bettas are jumpers, and more than a fair share of owners have lost bettas because they haven't covered them. The fish will jump out of the tank and end up mummified in a few hours. It's a slow, agonizing death for the fish, because they can breathe oxygen from the air, but they need the water. Then there's the mirror. It would be best if you got rid of it, if you were planning on having the betta in there. Constantly seeing his reflection would probably severely stress the fish out in the end, and a stressed fish easily turns into a sick fish. If you can't get rid of it, then I would recommend getting many, many silk or live plants to completely cover the back of the tank, so the reflection is minimal. Plastic plants aren't recommended, as they can tear fins, but if that's all you've got then they might be ok. If you're worried about people hitting the tank with the door, can you not just move it?

You did mention that you're worried about the tank getting too cold. You really should have a heater. Bettas are tropical fish, and need a temp range of 76-82F (78-80F is best). The bigger the tank, the less the temperature fluctuates from day to day, but even still. A heater is a must with bettas.

If you get a 5 or 20 gallon as the other tank, either is perfectly fine for one betta. I've got one of mine in a 6.6 gallon, and he loves the room. 20's can even be made into community tanks quite easily, if you wanted to do that as well.

Hope this helps! And good luck to you!
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #4 
athenr3134

im always getting those two mixed up but its easily to do that i guess. i was only saying that because my fish had sbd along with fin rot. i was going to do Epsom salt and Bettafix to get him well but he passed away before i could do that. i wondered about stress coat myself and how affected it would be on a betta who transfers from one house to the next. LITTLEWITTY... don't worry about being rude to me corrections are always helpful! oh but changing the water daily is very harmful to the fish this much I do know. constant temperature change can put the fish in shock. think that's all i have to say for now.

Last edited by athenr3134; 08-04-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #5 
LittleWatty

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, it is pretty easy to mix them up, but something to help remind you is the fact that humans also use Epsom salt for internal things (like constipation). Aquarium salt isn't so helpful for humans. When you were dealing with your fish, people probably recommended the ES so that you could treat the SBD before handling the fin rot. The rot is pretty minor in comparison, and fairly easy to treat.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #6 
athenr3134

actually this was petsmart doing they gave me bettafix for the fin rot and i think it had actually started to work some. he was only on it four days which it takes seven days to take full affect. its ok i realized that we.. the people that were taking care of him only fed him one type of food they need a variety food very very important for fish, bird, humans etc. When i change the fish bowl i always add water conditioner in there which only started when i bought it. i now or did start to put algae in there as well because i started seeing some.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #7 
Link592

I have a heater in the 55 gallon, also has 2 filters and a lot of decorations, I try & see if I can get a background for it, I think the tank could be bigger then 55 actually. So if I do 100% water changes it'll go away.

I am not actually worried about my Betta's jumping out, I sometimes can be but I am not. My betta's never learned to jump, they can only like dash in water I didn't teach my Betta anything since the tank there in is very small, My mom said there might be aquarium salt downstairs, I am hoping there is.

Anyways, I hope the mirror is removable as well, I am not sure if it's attached or not or if I can get a background on it, but I am hoping I can... The door problem, I might be incorrect I don't think it actually hits the door, considering a lot of people slam the door and the tank would of cracked way back then.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #8 
LittleWatty

Any betta can jump, whether you teach it or not. Just saying. Any sort of lid would be better than a mummified betta! Best of luck!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #9 
Link592

I have found a box of Aquarium Salt, my mom said we might have some down stairs actually so I just checked and found a box of it, how can I treat & use Aquarium salt to help his fin rot since he is in a small divider tank and what to do?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #10 
LittleWatty

If you can, put the non sick betta in another tank. If not, then put in about 1/2 teaspoon per gallon (if it's .25 gallons, put in 1/8 teaspoon. If less than that, less salt). AQ salt won't hurt the non sick betta. Also, make sure you're doing 100% water changes daily and adding the salt back in with the water change. Keep this up for no more than 10 days at a time, and hopefully you'll see improvement. Any clear appearance on the fin is regrowth. I'm stealing a pic from another thread (here: Broken Heart (first betta rescue)) to show you a good example. If you can see the clear parts of the fin on the caudal and anal fin, that's new growth. Its a good sign if you see that on your fish with the fin rot.

There are some other more extreme methods you can try that involve medication (if you can get your hands on it), but hopefully the aquarium salt will be enough.

Edit: As a note, if you don't see improvement after the 10 days, but it doesn't get worse, you can give him a few days break off the salt. Just keep up with the 100% water changes daily, and after about a week off the salt, you can go for another 10 days on.

Tags
big tank?, finrot, sick