Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #1 
Relic

Treasure hunting!

Let's face it, Most all of us have this deep down desire to find buried treasure. Either you still have that desire now as adults or as a kid, surely you remember digging holes in your yards or combing the local beaches in hopes of finding that buried pirate's chest full of riches. I have had this desire for as long as I can remember and at 30 years old I still dream of finding lost history. One of my favorite hobbies is treasure hunting!
I use a metal detector and search old abandoned home steads,crop fields,public parks and beaches in hopes of uncovering some long lost piece of the past. For me it's not about the gold,silver and other riches....it's about the rush I get when I uncover something that has been lost for years and knowing that I am holding something that at one time was held by the people who helped form this great nation...whether it be a lost piece of military history or a personal item of a man or woman who remembers what it was like when you had to actually had to put effort into day to day living.
I thought I'd share with you all some of my more memorable finds and also ask if there are any other fellow treasure hunters on this board?
on to the pics!
This is a badge I found at an old abandoned school house..it is made of melted down gun metal..from guns that the Union captured from the Confederates during the American Civil war.

This is an officers belt plate{or sword plate} from the American civil war. I found it in a corn field.

This is what is known as a "breast plate" it would of been on a strap that held a soldiers ammo box and would of been positioned across the soldiers chest. It would of belonged to a soldier in the Virginia militia during the American civil war. Found this on a river bank.

This is just a collection of things I found on one of my best hunts. The gold chain is 18 karat and would of been owned by a rather wealthy individual in the 1800s..it likely held a nice pocket watch at one time.

This is a collection of various military type items found on a river bank...all from the American Civil war.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #2 
lvandert

That is so cool!!! I do a different form of treasure hunting but still pretty satisfactory if you ask me. I go thrift store hunting. People donate left over "junk" from all sorts of things! My three favorite things I've found are a ring, a coin and a rock. The ring I bought for 5 bucks (with tax). Well I took it to a jeweler and they confirmed it was an antique, sterling silver, natural aquamarine ring valued at about 150 bucks. The coin got my heart going, its a 1736 Spanish Reale. It was used as currency in the US before the civil war. I bought two of them for 90 bucks. The other one doesn't have a hole in it I bought this one like that. That is about what their worth but the fact that this coin goes back that far is worth so much more to me. Lastly my rock lol. It's a quartz geode from southern Iowa, which doesn't sound too interesting, but it's the size of a football. I brought it to a rock vendor that comes around every once in a while. Now I bought that for 25 dollars, she offered me 300 dollars on the spot and said she'd sell it for 400 as is.
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #3 
Relic

Awesome! Love the spanish coins.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #4 
lvandert

I do too. The one I wear occasionally but the other is sealed in plastic lol. I always wanted to try my hand at metal detector hunting but nothing fancy happened in rapid city. The best chance I had was when I was with my ex. his father and grandmother owned farm land where their used to be a train station way back when. While walking through the field I found a glass medicine bottle.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #5 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
I do too. The one I wear occasionally but the other is sealed in plastic lol. I always wanted to try my hand at metal detector hunting but nothing fancy happened in rapid city. The best chance I had was when I was with my ex. his father and grandmother owned farm land where their used to be a train station way back when. While walking through the field I found a glass medicine bottle.
You'd be surprised! Nothing really happened here where I lived either but I still find all sorts of neat things. A friend of mine lives in SD and him and his wife find some really good stuff with detectors. Last year they found a couple $20 gold pieces worth several thousand dollars.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow, Relic! All your stuff is pretty cool. My brother used to have a metal detector but all we ever found with it was an old paint bucket and a neighbor 's missing engagement ring.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #7 
thekinetic

I have a metal detector but all the good places to detect here are all off limits to them, so the most use it has got is finding stray nails in the yard. :(
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Amazing finds Relic. Have you ever had the stuff appraised?
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #9 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Amazing finds Relic. Have you ever had the stuff appraised?
Thanks. Not really..I have a general idea of what things are worth when I find them. Usually the only thing I ever sell are gold and silver and usually as scrap. I did find a ring once that was a platinum band with several huge diamonds in it. The day after I found it I was looking in the lost and found section of the paper and seen an ad describing the location where I found the ring. I returned it and she told me the ring was worth over $20,000. I got a little finders fee and also she led me to a few old places her family owned that I could metal detect on...win win!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Thanks. Not really..I have a general idea of what things are worth when I find them. Usually the only thing I ever sell are gold and silver and usually as scrap. I did find a ring once that was a platinum band with several huge diamonds in it. The day after I found it I was looking in the lost and found section of the paper and seen an ad describing the location where I found the ring. I returned it and she told me the ring was worth over $20,000. I got a little finders fee and also she led me to a few old places her family owned that I could metal detect on...win win!

What are the odds of you finding that ring for her? She must have been thrilled to have it back.

My bf found my aunt's wedding band in one of 6 leaf bags after she was done raking and noticed her band was missing.

We figured that it was going to be like the needle in the haystack but he managed to spot it when the sun hit it at the right angle.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote