Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #1 
lillyandquigly

Baby bettas, please read!

I'm wondering, how do you care for baby bettas? Is it any different then that of adult care?
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #2 
tpocicat

They need warm, clean water even more than the adults. Also their mouths are smaller, so smaller food needs to be offered. If they are really young, some will only eat live foods.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #3 
lillyandquigly

ok, do they need anything else?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #4 
gossipgirl1031

Definitely different than the adults. More work for sure. But worth it, at least in my opinion. Warm (80-82+ degrees) clean water changes. Smaller food. I like New Life Spectrum Growth (and if hard for baby to eat, crush first). I've only had to use Hikari First Bites for my tiniest & newest baby, Auggie. He's eating the NLS now. I've found that an unfiltered tank works best at first. Some of the filters produce too strong of a current for the little guys. And be patient. They stress easier & are more prone to getting sick. I wouldn't change one thing about the baby experience though. Good luck! Happy to answer any questions.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #5 
lillyandquigly

Because I've been making plans for what kind of betta I want to get when my two I have now pass on(I do not want to speed up their death though! I've had them forever)and I'm stuck between a rescue betta and a baby one
Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #6 
Orangeblood77

I got 2 babies from Petco a couple of months ago. I put each into their own 5 gallon Chi tank and I now have 2 beautiful ladies, one blue and the other red.

I just made sure their food (NLS betta pellets) were crushed to a small enough size so that they could eat them and fed them small amounts a few times daily.

So far everything looks good.
Orangeblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #7 
lillyandquigly

neato, I am pretty sad, I almost cried when I went to the feedstore today, they sell fish there and were selling bettas, and there were a bunch of baby vt and I think one CT. They're cups were dirty, and I think one had fin rot:( They were in an inch or less of water:(
Old 08-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #8 
gossipgirl1031

It's bad enough having to see the adults treated so poorly. Poor babies. Those little guys get sick so easy. Fin rot would devastate their little bodies. I almost took home another 2 tonight. I'm house sitting at the moment & only have Auggie's equipment with me. My older ones are okay with my mom, but she couldn't take care of a baby correctly. I also saw a HUGE King that couldn't turn around in his cup-literally stuck. If he & the babies are still there Tuesday when I go home, I'll be bringing some home with me.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

I put mine in a breeder box in my 20G with floating plants.
They produce a growth stunting hormone so you may want to do more water changes depending on the size of the the tank.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #10 
Twilight Storm

We need a baby betta care sticky since they are probably here to stay at Petco. (So it can be easily accessed by everyone that gets a baby.)

Just have to say I went to Petco today and most of their baby bettas were floating on their sides at the tops of their cups... The ones that were not, were very clamped up. :(

Their care is pretty much been covered by everyone else here, if you have live food like mosquito larvae or I had little white bugs on a plant my baby ate, they will love the live food. I wouldn't say you NEED it though. The crushed pellet at least 3x a day should work.

Overall, I say get whatever fish you want though. It is fun to see what the baby turns into, but there might be some other healthy betta at whatever store you go to, you might be more attracted to bring home. If by "rescue" you mean sick-about to die- betta, just remember even the healthy ones can go to bad homes or inexperienced owners and die really quick too.... So there's lots of choices. :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote