Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #1 
PaintingPintos

Pectoral fins "skeletal" and shiny patch

When I got Om in January, he was in poor condition. Now he is fully healed, in everything except for his pectoral fins....they're completely skeletal-looking, with only some tiny bitty little patches of color, barely visible. I actually didn't even KNOW that they were supposed to have full color until I started actually paying attention to good quality bettas.
Om is perfectly healthy.....warm, around 78 degree water, and I add a little pinch of salt per water change. 3 gallon tank, maybe a 1/4 teaspoon per 50% water change.
He's doing very well, swimming, very active....I'd just like to know if his pectoral fins EVER will gain their full color....it doesn't seem like they've gained ANY since I got him.

Also a few months ago it looked like Om banged his head on something or scratched it. It was the size of 4-5 scales together, on his head on the "skin" part. The patch turned white and didn't have any slime or weird coloring, so I added a teaspoon of Kosher salt to the tank in case anything was going to happen.
Well, it healed nicely, but.....the place where it healed is now reflective. It's very shiny, almost mirror-like.
WHAT happened then???
It isn't causing any pain or whatever, and there were no pollutants, the water is very stable, but......
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #2 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingPintos View Post
When I got Om in January, he was in poor condition. Now he is fully healed, in everything except for his pectoral fins....they're completely skeletal-looking, with only some tiny bitty little patches of color, barely visible. I actually didn't even KNOW that they were supposed to have full color until I started actually paying attention to good quality bettas.
Om is perfectly healthy.....warm, around 78 degree water, and I add a little pinch of salt per water change. 3 gallon tank, maybe a 1/4 teaspoon per 50% water change.
He's doing very well, swimming, very active....I'd just like to know if his pectoral fins EVER will gain their full color....it doesn't seem like they've gained ANY since I got him.

Also a few months ago it looked like Om banged his head on something or scratched it. It was the size of 4-5 scales together, on his head on the "skin" part. The patch turned white and didn't have any slime or weird coloring, so I added a teaspoon of Kosher salt to the tank in case anything was going to happen.
Well, it healed nicely, but.....the place where it healed is now reflective. It's very shiny, almost mirror-like.
WHAT happened then???
It isn't causing any pain or whatever, and there were no pollutants, the water is very stable, but......
I'm no expert, but Junior's pectoral fins are completely clear, too, and they've always been. Maybe it just depends on the fish whether there's color there or not? The scales are probably just starting to grow back on his head.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #3 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
I'm no expert, but Junior's pectoral fins are completely clear, too, and they've always been. Maybe it just depends on the fish whether there's color there or not? The scales are probably just starting to grow back on his head.
Oh, thank heavens! *wipes brow*
I thought Om was an alien >:D
I figured it was nothing much, but thanks for clarifying!

Also, I am a BIG fan of Jeremy Wade.....I am an avid watcher of River Monsters. Netflix is supplying my "drug" lol!
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Most of mine have clear pectorals, except my new dragon CT who has red.. My dragon delta also have red on his pectorals but not completely...
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #5 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingPintos View Post
Oh, thank heavens! *wipes brow*
I thought Om was an alien >:D
I figured it was nothing much, but thanks for clarifying!

Also, I am a BIG fan of Jeremy Wade.....I am an avid watcher of River Monsters. Netflix is supplying my "drug" lol!
Oh awesome!!! River Monsters is such a fantastic show; I think I've watched every episode now! I named my fish Jeremy Wade Junior because he acts like a little river monster :D But he goes by "Junior" for short ;)
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote