Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #1 
MistersMom

Will this kill my fishies?

Melafix+QuICK cure+AQ salt?

they have really bad fin rot, the melafix is healthy for them, they have some of that, and some quick cure already, wich im using for their fin rot,it has always worked for me. and AQ salt, just for safety measures? am i gonna end up killing them O.o ? i really don't want to.... they are the only living things in the tank aside form live plants....
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #2 
Aus

If they have really bad fin rot, I'd forget the melafix cocktail --- it's all antiseptic, not antibiotic, anyway (ETA except possibly the quick cure? Idk that product - if it's gram negative or broad spectrum antibiotic, it will actually help..) and so aren't going to do more than delay the progression of the disease.

Get some Kanaplex or Furan-2. They're designed to fight the bacterial infection that causes fin rot, and IMO are best used earlier rather than when the fish's fins are rotting off. Kills the disease quick, fish get better sooner, it seems like win to me.

What's your tank size/ wc schedule? Clean water's going to do a lot for them also.

Last edited by Aus; 08-04-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #3 
MistersMom

:/ ten gallon divided in 2.... and petco is over an hour away, and it will take over a week if i order it.... i'll call my mom she'll be passing through there tomorrow, and sense i cleaned her house yesterday while she was in texas, she may buy me some..
Old 08-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #4 
MistersMom

She'll pick some up for me tomorrow, on her way home i have them in my 'hospital' tank, its a half gallon w/ divider, fresh water and they have their hammocks just for comfort, i have a bubbler and a heater in there also. sorry for the terrible picture quality....

Name:  P080412_1544.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  44.5 KB
Old 08-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #5 
Aus

It's probably better to give the fish a few days rest in clean water between whatever treatment they last had anyway. If they've had the rot for quite a while, it's likely a slow moving version. I've had two fish with the same chronic rot issue (from two stores that are owned by the same company, no doubt having the same fish supplier...). Sadly, I treated one too late. The other fin bites and is sickly in general, so I watch him like a hawk for actual rot - his fins are still awful but thanks to an appropriate antibiotic he's still alive 6 months on...

I hope the meds work for them. If the rot clears up nicely consider using a little IAL (katapang leaf) in their water as a preventative. It has antimicrobial and antifungal properties, so helps keep fish in good health. I'm currently researching its chemical properties, and it does have actual health benefits.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #6 
MistersMom

i dont even know where to get one lol.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #7 
Aus

ketapang* leaf, sorry for the typo.

You can order them online. :)
Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

Melafix is an anabantoid killer... give your betta a regular dose and they'll be belly up...

For fin rot... clean, warm water, AQ salt (same things as rock/ice cream salt), and almond leaf extract.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #9 
Aus

Mr. V., +1

But where rot is advancing, I do lean on appropriate antibiotic. Not to disagree with you, but the bugs causing it can get nasty when they take hold..as well as going systemic.

I think IAL is a brilliant preventative and treatment for mild rot. Funny I should read thread as I'm reading about IAL.. quite astounding research has been done into it.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

If it is bad enough to use meds I'd go with an antibiotic from PetCo. Generally Maracyn I think. Its not like you're treating columnaris or hex.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote