Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #1 
Norman!

My beta looks like a fish stick!

:( I have had Norman for about 3 weeks now, and he has always been so active and interested in all things around him. He loves when I talk to him and he gets really happy when I come home from work, spashing around and following me to whatever side of the bowl I am on, etc. I noticed about 5 days ago that he was getting ick. So I went to Wal-mart and bought some stuff to put in his water for it. He lives in a small bowl (1/2 gallon) and I dont have any rocks or anything in it. I have been mixing 1 drop of the meds in a gallon sized water jug that I use for his water changes, and then doing a full water change everyday. The ick seemed to clear up after 3 days, but yesterday I noticed a few spots that came back adn he has been acting really funny. I came home and noticed that he did not respond as he usually does, but instead looked more like a frozen fish stick just staring at his heat lamp. His eyes dont move, his gills dont move, nothing. My boyfriend told me to not freak out and that he was just tired cause he was jumping out of his water and swimming like crazy before I came home. But I am just hoping that I am not doing something to him to make him sick. I want him to have clean water, and my boyfriend says that I change it to much (I was changing it like every other day, but I stopped that, and now do a partial change on every third day) I do my best to keep his water at 80 degrees, but it usually seems to stay at 78. My bf is OCD and makes me turn his lamp off at night, so I wrap a towel around his bowl to try to keep the heat in but still in the morning his water is in the low 70's. So I turn his lamp on as soon as I get up, but I think its warming him up to fast. I feed him a varied diet, pellets, flakes, and bloodworms. And he eats really well, loves the worms! But last night when he looked like a statue he wouldn't even respond to the worms. Please help! Oh, and I heard that a little salt in their water is good, so I put just a little bit in this morning (1/4 tsp.) is this ok?? I want Norman to be happy like he was! He makes me so happy so I want to do the same for him![/list]
Norman! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #2 
bettababy

Re: My beta looks like a fish stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman!
:( I have had Norman for about 3 weeks now, and he has always been so active and interested in all things around him. He loves when I talk to him and he gets really happy when I come home from work, spashing around and following me to whatever side of the bowl I am on, etc. I noticed about 5 days ago that he was getting ick. So I went to Wal-mart and bought some stuff to put in his water for it. He lives in a small bowl (1/2 gallon) and I dont have any rocks or anything in it. I have been mixing 1 drop of the meds in a gallon sized water jug that I use for his water changes, and then doing a full water change everyday. The ick seemed to clear up after 3 days, but yesterday I noticed a few spots that came back adn he has been acting really funny. I came home and noticed that he did not respond as he usually does, but instead looked more like a frozen fish stick just staring at his heat lamp. His eyes dont move, his gills dont move, nothing. My boyfriend told me to not freak out and that he was just tired cause he was jumping out of his water and swimming like crazy before I came home. But I am just hoping that I am not doing something to him to make him sick. I want him to have clean water, and my boyfriend says that I change it to much (I was changing it like every other day, but I stopped that, and now do a partial change on every third day) I do my best to keep his water at 80 degrees, but it usually seems to stay at 78. My bf is OCD and makes me turn his lamp off at night, so I wrap a towel around his bowl to try to keep the heat in but still in the morning his water is in the low 70's. So I turn his lamp on as soon as I get up, but I think its warming him up to fast. I feed him a varied diet, pellets, flakes, and bloodworms. And he eats really well, loves the worms! But last night when he looked like a statue he wouldn't even respond to the worms. Please help! Oh, and I heard that a little salt in their water is good, so I put just a little bit in this morning (1/4 tsp.) is this ok?? I want Norman to be happy like he was! He makes me so happy so I want to do the same for him![/list]
It sounds to me as if your betta is suffering from 2 problems... 1 for sure, the other possibly. Can you please list the ingredients in the medication you are/were using? Bettas are very sensitive to most medications, and by using them you can actually make a problem worse.
It is likely that the ick (if that's really what it is/was) was brought on by the flutuating temps. A betta can live at 70 or it can live at 78 (78 is much better/safer), but when the temp swings back and forth by that much of a gradient, the situation becomes lethal. The fish's body can't adjust to that drastic of a temp change, thus it brings on shock.
My firsts suggestion would be to find a way to keep that temp steady, and as close to 80 as possible. My other suggestion is to stop using the meds, change 50% of his water now, then after 24 hrs change another 50%. If you post a list of the active ingredients I can then determine if the meds are causing harm.
Best of luck to you and your fish, but don't be too surprised if it doesn't survive. Should your fish die, it would be a good idea to fix the temp fluctuation problem before investing in another fish.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #3 
Norman!

The active ingredients in Norman's medicine

What I have been giving him is QuICK Cure with the active ingredients being: Formalin and Malachite Green. The directions told me to put one drop in per gallon of water. Since he is in a 1/2 gallon bowl, I put 1 drop in his gallon sized spring water bottle, swirl it around, empty all his water except for the bare minimum for him, and then fill his bowl back up with the water from his bottle. I did this for 3 days in a row and then on the 5th day I noticed him acting funny, so I have completely stopped giving him the medicine and went and bought him a new bottle of water. I brought him to work today because the backroom always stays really warm so it will keep his temp steady. Should I put some sea salt in his water as well? I read that it helps cure almost anything with bettas, but I am far from any expert.
Norman! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:36 AM   #4 
bettababy

Can you please describe what this illness looked like before you treated the fish with the medication?
In all of the years I've been keeping, breeding, raising bettas... I have never seen one suffer from ick. When asking my husband, he said the same thing... in 20+ yrs of working with fish, he's never seen a single betta with ick.
Quick Cure is a very harsh medication, and for the betta who is sensitive to most meds, this can be lethal.
I would strongly suggest you stop using any medication, keep the water extremely clean, feed him very well with nutritious foods (live black worms, frozen or live brine shrimp, betta pellets, etc), one food each day with a water change within hours after feeding to remove all waste... and keep him warm, steady warm. (as close to 80 as you can get)
If you can post a picture of your fish it would help a lot!!!
I'll do what I can to help, but it sounds as if he's pretty far gone already. They're a strong fish, but there's no telling what kind of damage was done by those meds.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote