Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #11 
ImaFishNoob

He does not look like the Betta in the picture the fuzz is less noticeable and covers his whole head and not just spots
ImaFishNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #12 
prodrumernate

good news he is getting better though i wonder about the stuff on his head....i would say 2 50% and 1 100% a week would be good for now until he is a lot better.since it has a filter and is 1.5 gallons.after he is better.i would say 50% and 100% once a week is ok.i actually do like a 100% water change a month on my 2 gallon and then 50% once or twice a week as needed.my girl is as happy as can be.she even tore a fin.and it has healed very fast.i thought it would take a week or longer.it only took 3 days. :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #13 
ImaFishNoob

I'll try to get a picture of the stuff tomorrow with a better camera! Can you tell me how to properly acclimate him to new water? I heard that if you don't your fish will go into shock. What type of Betta do you have? She looks really healthy and similar to mine when I first got him!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #14 
prodrumernate

i have 2 veil tail females and a veil tale male...if he is already in the new tank then keeping the temperature constant.having it dark and not a lot of distractions like people walking around will help him adapt.if u r about to put him in a new tank.the best thing to do is have him in the cup u got him in.and either let the cup float ontop of the new water allowing it to adjust to the temp of the water in the tank or adding like 25% water to the cup from the tank,taking out a little water and gradually doing that until ur getting about 100% of tank water into the cup..

add a little aquarium salt.since its a 1.5 gallon.ill say about 1/4 teaspoon of salt should be fine.it will help reduce tress as well as protect him from diseases.but dont do that for more than 10 days.infact only do it once a full water change..

my fish got use to the change after a few days.my male is about to be put in my 10 gallon possibly tomorrow if i make sure its fully cycled.

do u already have him in the 1.5 gallon currently?i believe u do by what u have been saying.as long as the water stays clean by changing it and using water conditioner,and feeding him the rite amount of food.giving him some of ur attention.he will be happy.oh make sure he has a little hiding place.like a couple fake plants.all thats in my 2 gallon is a heater.and 2 small plastic plants.but my female thats in my avatar loves to go down in the bubble tube and hide.until i tap on the tank.then she come darting up for attention and food :)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #15 
teeneythebetta

[quote=prodrumernate;1185574]ive heard the samething.then i read elsewhere its ok.its safer than frozen bloodworms.as frozen bloodworms are thought to be linked to ICH...and frozen dont last as long..things like that.but i did research online and read bettas can survive on just bloodworms alone.i think its more matter of opinion.its better than pellets and flakes.. :)

[quote]

Frozen is better than freeze dried because they are less likely to bloat your betta. I have never heard anything about them being linked to ich, that makes NO sense to me whatsoever.

Blood worms do not contain the nutrients bettas should have. Its not an opinionated thing, betta food is formulated to meet their needs. You don't feed a dog dog treats, you feed it dog food. You don't feed a betta treats, you feed it betta food.

If bloodworms were better than flakes, I would be feeding Teeney blood worms daily, but she gets them once a week.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #16 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Teeny what about all those "fillers" like soy and wheat and flour in betta pellets? I read the labels and it concerns me a bit. I am new-ish to fish but I know a lot about human nutrition and usually wheat, corn, flour, and soy are just "junk" that is subsidized therefore cheap filler to put in human or animal food.

Any suggestions for better quality food for bettas? Everyone says Hikari but the other day I read the label and there were many fillers in the first few ingredients.

Last edited by mursey; 08-06-2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: forgot corn
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #17 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
Teeny what about all those "fillers" like soy and wheat and flour in betta pellets? I read the labels and it concerns me a bit. I am new-ish to fish but I know a lot about human nutrition and usually wheat, corn, flour, and soy are just "junk" that is subsidized therefore cheap filler to put in human or animal food.

Any suggestions for better quality food for bettas? Everyone says Hikari but the other day I read the label and there were many fillers in the first few ingredients.
New Life Spectrum and Omega One are the two best brands available in the States. Omega One tends to be easier to find at your typical pet store, but NLS is superior.

Edit: OP - the fuzzy stuff on the top of his head, if it doesn't look like the fungus photo and hasn't progressed, it could be excess slime coat.

Last edited by deso; 08-06-2012 at 06:18 AM.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #18 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
New Life Spectrum and Omega One are the two best brands available in the States. Omega One tends to be easier to find at your typical pet store, but NLS is superior.
+1 I feed Teeney omega one in the morning & NLS at night.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #19 
ImaFishNoob

The fuzz doesn't look like the picture and it hasn't progressed so it sounds like it could be an extra slime coat. Will it go away after a while and is an extra slime coat good/bad for the fish?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #20 
prodrumernate

yes i believe it will go away.its just a matter of time.keeping the water cleaned of course.