Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #1 
KukaaKatchou

Possible Danger to Phantom?

I have Phantom, my betta, in a 5 gallon tank with 2 Otos. I recently put a soaked driftwood (sterile, made for aquariums) in my tank with 2 plants. I notice some little white debris or spots on the driftwood and I also see them on my 2 Otos. Being as my betta is a white cellophane, I can't see anything on him. Since it is on the wood too, I'm wondering if this is just tank debris or is it a disease or parasite that could also infect my betta? I took some pictures to show you what I am talking about. I couldn't get closer with my camera but hopefully it will give an idea. One picture is of the wood with white spots and the other two of my Otos (who look and act heathy). Thank you in advance!
Attached Images

KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #2 
KukaaKatchou

Crap I think it's ich. From what I ahve read, raising the temp to 85 and adding 1/2tsp aquarium salt for 5 gallons of water is good treatment? But I know Otos can be sensitive to salt ...
Old 08-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #3 
KukaaKatchou

Ok raised the temperature gradually to 85 degrees, I did a 75% water change with my gravel vac to try and such up as much stuff as I could, then put in 1/2 of the dose of the ich meds. Today they got the second 1/2 dose and I don't see ANY spots on my Otos anymore!! So now I wait 48 hours then it says to do a 1/4 water change and put charcoal filter back in. And then I assume I gradually lower the temperature to 80 degrees again. I'm considering doing one more dose in 48 hours to be sure I got all the generations of ich. What do you guys think?