Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #1 
starrlamia

Need some help on gods/goddess

So one of my aquascaping ideas includes use of a god or goddess. But I cant decide which ones... Ive been looking at philipino, malaysian and Cambodian mythology but I cant decide if I should use a deity of water, rivers, rice, fish or aquaculture. Some of the ones I have been thinking of

Idiyanale- aquaculture
Tala- Introduced rice culture
Sirena- Mermaid
Pontus- God of sea creatures

Any suggestions? Im trying to stick to deities in areas where bettas are from. The idea is that the fish in the tank will be worshipping said deity... An idea that should come to fruition next week when I redo my tank (going to scape, and now I need to try and eradicate some pond snails). So you will have to wait for details :)
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #2 
prodrumernate

id go with Sirena..my dads wife is filipina,my wife is filipina..my bros on and off girl is filipina.once i got involved my dad followed then i introduced my bro to his.with that being said..i say sirena becaue i too want to do a filipino style aquarium.and when u mentioned this.it gave me an idea as well..

since she is a mermaid like creature.it would go great with aquariums.considering u can also find a lot of mermaid merchandise out there u can use in aquariums.

"they dwell on an island in a flowery meadow." u could get some live or even fake plants to decorate in that style making a beautiful tank and setup.if u ue the tank for a female betta.that would be perfect for her :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #3 
prodrumernate

if its a male.as u mentioned above.he would be worshiping her.either way it works out and is a great idea to do.glad u posted it.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #4 
starrlamia

thank you :) and excuse my ignorance for spelling filipino wrong. I knew it didnt look right.

Im not exactly doing a filipino style tank, Im building a rock structure with swim throughs and stuff so I am going to put a little sign up saying "Temple of (insert god/dess name)" just to be a bit cheeky. But since it is a sorority tank I think Sirena will work well!

ps it is a planted tank!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #5 
starrlamia

oh neat it looks like a bunch of my plants are from SE Asia so that fits in well!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #6 
prodrumernate

ur welcome.and its ok.i didnt even notice how u spelt filipino honestly.hope i didnt seem like im trying to correct u or anything :) but there are other ways to spell it.so i guess thats y i didnt notice it.

u gave me an idea how i should do more of a filipino style aquarium.though its hard.i tried before.but i like ur idea.and i get why u used filipino goddess.due to the fact bettas are more from that area.

i dont think the sign is over doing it.i think its a great idea to add the sign with the name.if i seen it i may not know what it was about exactly.but if the sign is there it kinda gives the hint on what its about.so thats a great idea :)

i might have to "steal" some of ur ideas ;)

i have a 20 gallon i will setup.for a female betta.and i want more of a filipino style.or well so filipinos will recognize it.

what kind of plants do u have may i ask?i have red ludwigia for my 10 gallon that just finished cycling today.and want something for my 20.but not really sure what.and since i like ur idea.it can help guide me how i could set mine up.and i would love to see pictures of yours :)
Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #7 
starrlamia

haha steal away!

Right now I have the following plants from SE Asia:
Java moss and fern
Crypt Wendtii
Water Wisteria

I also have Purple cabomba, Moneywork, Radican sword and some sort of anubias, I havent yet confirmed where these plants are from, working on it now.

My tank isnt scaped yet, but I have another thread with pictures if you look through my posts.

These may help you get ideas:
http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_thai_creek.htm
http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_se_asia_pool.htm
http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=southeastasianriver

If you google South East Asia biotope there are quite a few good links :)
Old 08-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #8 
prodrumernate

haha thank you :).
i like those plants.and they look like they dont need a million dollar light setup to grow.but something i can afford.

i had done research before on how to setup a SE type aquarium.but didnt think about using those search terms.i just looked up like "filipino aquarium" and it gave me results of aquariums in the philippines haha..and other terms like that.but no results.or unless it was like the red Buddha and some bamboo.which i like.but i want something thats my own.not something every1 else does i guess u can say.

and ive been trying to decide how to setup my 20 gallon hex lately.when i read ur thread.i jumped into it and new i could get some ideas here :)

thanks for the links.ill check them out.