Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #1 
graymyca

Question "Tagg" Your It - a few questions

Hello everyone. As a new betta keeper I have a few questions. I came to this site looking for more information about bettas to discover some things that the store clerk forgot to mention like heat, and tank size. With the assistance of you lovely people I hope to provide a better life for "Tagg" without breaking the bank. I purchased Tagg as a baby betta from Petco June 24th. Now that Tagg is about an inch I suspect he is a she due to a white dot that I believe to be her egg spot, but I digress, back to the matter at hand. I am in the process of moving Tagg from a .5 gallon to a Aqua culture betta wave 2.5 gallon which is the larget tank I can get due to my living arrangements. With the warm weather Tagg has been in comfy waters but as the seasons change she will need a heater. I have acquired a Tetra HT10 heater to prepare along with a thermometer. It says that it heats 2 to 10 gallons but I worry it might overheat the new tank, has anyone else used this heater in a smaller tank successfully? Or can anyone recommend a better fit. I am also looking into a filter. I'm thinking maybe a Tetra Whisper 3i In-Tank Filter or a Marina i25 Internal Filter are these any good for bettas or are they too strong? I feel for the moment that my research has covered all of my other questions for now but any help is appreciated. Thank you.
graymyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:41 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

I've used it in a 1 galon and in a 2.5 galon successfuly. It might not be powerful enough on colder weather
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #3 
graymyca

Thanks Vilmarisv I need the reassurance about the heater, now I just need to find a cost effective filter.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #4 
emilyjessica

I have a filter (tetra too, though not the exact same one I think) that says it's for 2-15 gallons, and I have it in a 5 gallon, so significantly smaller than its max size like yours. No problems with overheating so far, and it's the middle of the summer and everything. Most filters seem to have a "safety off feature" which I was also skeptical about, but so far so good
emilyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #5 
ZergyMonster

I've been using that heater for 3 years now. I have come to a situation where it stopped turning off when it reached 78F. But that was after 3 years of use mind you. I also have it in 2 of my 2 gallon tanks. They heat just fine, just be sure of the temperature that is stops at as it seems to differ from each heater.

As for a filter, it is hard to maintain a cycle in a tank that small, I would like to ask you if you have any live plants for your tank?
If you do it would make cycling easier with most of the ammonia being used up by your plants.
If not, I would recommend that you ditch the filter entirely and just do 50% and 100% water changes each week.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #6 
Ghost Handler

I use the Tetra Whisper 3i in a 3 gal. tank for my guy. It has an adjustable flow which provides quite gentle circulation. I also have a bit of mopani wood which is place right in front of the filter and provides a bit of a baffle. I do regular water changes inspite of having a filter. I know that my tank isn't cycled, but I test my water every other day, and even after a week there is no detectable ammonia, nitrate, or nitite (I change the water anyway.) However, I do have some plants.
Ghost Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #7 
graymyca

Thanks for everyones advice and experiences. ZergyMonster at some point in the near future I do plan to add some live plants, but I dont have any in mind at the the moment.

Last edited by graymyca; 08-07-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Tags
filter, heater