Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #1 
Aahnay

Start right vs prime ammonia

Wasnt sure how to word my questions.

I use Start right for water conditioner. Ive done 2/3 daily water changes in 2 gallon. Maybe 2.25. Planted, and gravel and filter/sponge/coal/air

nitrite 0
nitrate 0
gh 75
kh 80-120
ph 7.2 yet if i look at the strip at 60 sec its 8.4 >

My ammonia keeps reading too high, at 3, I take the reading the next day before water change.

So, does prime have an ammonia ingredient? as olf said (i think) that it gets changed to ammon something ... and the tests cannot tell the difference.

I dont think Start right has that? But i dont know.

and last, how do i get rid of the ammonia?

George looks ok, but I dont want it to sneak up on him. He is just beginning to like me.

Ill be assembling my 10 gal, over the next few days, everything is finally here. But i still would like to use the little tank for plants, etc.

Thank you.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahnay View Post
Wasnt sure how to word my questions.

I use Start right for water conditioner. Ive done 2/3 daily water changes in 2 gallon. Maybe 2.25. Planted, and gravel and filter/sponge/coal/air

nitrite 0
nitrate 0
gh 75
kh 80-120
ph 7.2 yet if i look at the strip at 60 sec its 8.4 >

My ammonia keeps reading too high, at 3, I take the reading the next day before water change.

So, does prime have an ammonia ingredient? as olf said (i think) that it gets changed to ammon something ... and the tests cannot tell the difference.

I dont think Start right has that? But i dont know.

and last, how do i get rid of the ammonia?

George looks ok, but I dont want it to sneak up on him. He is just beginning to like me.

Ill be assembling my 10 gal, over the next few days, everything is finally here. But i still would like to use the little tank for plants, etc.

Thank you.
How long has your tank been running? Are you using a liquid test kit such as the API Master Test Kit, much more accurate than strips? Have you tested your tap water? How old is your test kit? An ammonia reading of 3 is EXTREMELY high & if its accurate I would think George would NOT be alive. I use Prime in all of 3 of my tanks, it does NOT remove Ammonia it detoxifies it for about 24-48 hrs. I just finished cycling two tanks simultaneously, 50% water changes about every 2 days & sometimes daily. One was a 10g & the other a 46g, after 3-1/2 wks the 10g is cycled and the 46g which is a week behind is on the verge. 1st I would suggest testing your tap water to know what your starting levels are, 2nd I would suggest taking sample of your tank & tap water to a trusted LFS to see if they get the same results. If they don't get anything close then I would say you have a bad test kit. 3rd I suggest getting that 10g up as soon as possible, smaller volumes of water are harder to maintain water quality. Water changes is the ONLY way to bring the levels of ammonia, nitrite & nitrate down. Ph isn't all that important so long as it's stable, from what I understand you can do more harm than good trying to "level" it but you also don't want it to crash so again water changes to keep it consistent.

Last edited by shellieca; 07-26-2012 at 09:21 AM.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #3 
Aahnay

Thank you for your reply =)

Yes, i tested my water, its not tap, its from the city wells, I go 'pick it up' in a cistern and gallon jugs. The jugs is for drinking and pets. I used the strips for both ammonia and for the other. I have the api ordered.

It is difficult, the water I use looks like it is a hair higher than 0, but not .25.

There is no LFS here, lol, nothing here but walmart and albertson and pauls. I didnt know if the ammonia readings where high because it was reading the detoxified ammonia. I dont know if the start right does the same thing. I cant compare ingredients without the prime label.

I misspoke, its between .5 and 3, the color is hard to tell. I look at it in full sun.

George does seem to be fine, not dead. No red lines.

Yes 10 gal getting started today, but need to get more water for it tom, and the heater will arrive today too. Very excited.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Thank you for your reply =)

Yes, i tested my water, its not tap, its from the city wells, I go 'pick it up' in a cistern and gallon jugs. The jugs is for drinking and pets. I used the strips for both ammonia and for the other. I have the api ordered.

It is difficult, the water I use looks like it is a hair higher than 0, but not .25.

There is no LFS here, lol, nothing here but walmart and albertson and pauls. I didnt know if the ammonia readings where high because it was reading the detoxified ammonia. I dont know if the start right does the same thing. I cant compare ingredients without the prime label.

I misspoke, its between .5 and 3, the color is hard to tell. I look at it in full sun.

George does seem to be fine, not dead. No red lines.

Yes 10 gal getting started today, but need to get more water for it tom, and the heater will arrive today too. Very excited.
Yeah I know about living in places like that, LOL. I'm originally from Oklahoma & in many towns you'd have to travel at least 30 miles just to get to Wal-mart. In any case if the ammonia is even .25 I would do a water change, I'm not at all familiar with start right so I can't say anything about it. I have used Prime sicne I stumbled across it when I water issues a couple months ago, there were days during the cycling process I didn't have time to do a water change so I would add Prime until I could get to it the next day so I know it works. I did not lose any of my 6 fish this last time while cycling two tanks. Keep us posted.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #5 
Aahnay

yeah doing 2/3 daily.. I cannot catch him in the cup he came in, or id do a full. I almost get him and then wam hes out, and Im afraid ill squish him! o.O I need more practice.

if you have the time, could you type the ingreds for the prime? if not, no worries.

On a diff thread it says i cant cycle this little tank. Well i may be able to if it was full 3 gallons, or 3.5, but its very difficult, so I do the water changes. This tank has the betta sand in it, just 2 lbs. It has the bacteria, betta ready, lol.

Last edited by Aahnay; 07-26-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
yeah doing 2/3 daily.. I cannot catch him in the cup he came in, or id do a full. I almost get him and then wam hes out, and Im afraid ill squish him! o.O I need more practice.

if you have the time, could you type the ingreds for the prime? if not, no worries.

On a diff thread it says i cant cycle this little tank. Well i may be able to if it was full 3 gallons, or 3.5, but its very difficult, so I do the water changes. This tank has the betta sand in it, just 2 lbs. It has the bacteria, betta ready, lol.

They can be slippery little suckers, Berry was always difficult to scoop up, he'd slip between the edge of the cup and the side of the bowl 2 or 3 times before I could get him. I'd have most of his water scooped out by then & he wouldn't have much room left to flee. I'll take a look at the Prime when I get home from work, I have to do a water change on my 46g so I should remember to look at the Prime.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

I'm looking at the Prime bottle & there are no ingredients listed anywhere. I do know that this is the water conditioner that is recommended by tons of aquarists & my personal experience has been great. Sorry I can't give you the ingredients, maybe there's something online?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #8 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I'm looking at the Prime bottle & there are no ingredients listed anywhere. I do know that this is the water conditioner that is recommended by tons of aquarists & my personal experience has been great. Sorry I can't give you the ingredients, maybe there's something online?
oh, lol, and thank you again. I wonder why they dont list them. I think i was looking at prime the other night, I didnt notice if they had the ingreds or not. Ill google it again, and see if i can find them.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #9 
Aahnay

Ok,
Quote:
Principal Ingredients: Bisulfites and hydrosulfites, aqueous solution, buffered at pH 8, with ameliorating ingredients. Reducing agents.
from here. click more information tab. This would be handy in an er too, to quickly detox nitrites. MSDS

start right: active ingreds: sodium chloride, aloe vera, polyvynlprrolidone. hmmm.

Last edited by Aahnay; 07-26-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #10 
Aahnay

I wonder why start right is adding sea salt to the mix?