Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #1 
katiemcginnis

Should I try to move my aquarium?

I'm moving about 12 hours away in two weeks. Currently, I'm at my family's, and so is my fish tank. It has a betta, neon tetras, and a dwarf frog.

My betta is showing signs of slowing down. I don't know if he'll pull through the next few days. If I'm blessed enough that he does, I wonder if it's irresponsible to put him through the stress of 12 hours in a little bag in a car ride. There will be hour or so long stops along the way and I worry about him getting overheated, even in a Styrofoam container.

I'm babying him in the tank. I can't baby him in a bag.

My family has offered to keep and take case of my fish. They've done it before and do it well, so I'm not concerned about their well-being. I guess, emotionally I love my fish and it's hard to part with them, but I don't want to do anything that will stress or harm them. I couldn't forgive myself in my betta died en route.

Another option would be to leave my fish here, wait until I get settled, and then, when my mother visits sometime, to bring the fish down. That way, the ride would only be eight hours and they'd have a set tank to go to right away.

Advice?
katiemcginnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #2 
Bettafish

If you could part for them a short time i think thats the best choice. If it is his time to go he could die in his tank comfy cossy. but maybe hes just a little down. i think the 8 hour ride is better then the 12 hour.

Then again some bettas are shipped for days and they survive so its up to u really. Theres a guide on the forums on how to ship bettas if u decide too :)
I think if u repaired him like u where going to ship him itd be the best way to transport him
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #3 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemcginnis View Post
I'm moving about 12 hours away in two weeks. Currently, I'm at my family's, and so is my fish tank. It has a betta, neon tetras, and a dwarf frog.

My betta is showing signs of slowing down. I don't know if he'll pull through the next few days. If I'm blessed enough that he does, I wonder if it's irresponsible to put him through the stress of 12 hours in a little bag in a car ride. There will be hour or so long stops along the way and I worry about him getting overheated, even in a Styrofoam container.

I'm babying him in the tank. I can't baby him in a bag.

My family has offered to keep and take case of my fish. They've done it before and do it well, so I'm not concerned about their well-being. I guess, emotionally I love my fish and it's hard to part with them, but I don't want to do anything that will stress or harm them. I couldn't forgive myself in my betta died en route.

Another option would be to leave my fish here, wait until I get settled, and then, when my mother visits sometime, to bring the fish down. That way, the ride would only be eight hours and they'd have a set tank to go to right away.

Advice?
What will the lengthy stops be for?

I'm moving my betta soon, too, and it will be an 8 hour car ride. I feel he'll do fine during the trip, but if you feel that your betta wouldn't, maybe it's best to leave him home until you come back. Especially if something bad did happen during the trip with him; that wouldn't be a very good start to an exciting move. :(

However, there are things you can do to make the trip less stressful (like securing their container between towels so they don't get bumped around as much, putting a sock or towel over the container since they are usually less stressed in the dark, or even maybe putting a small fake plant of his with him so it's not a completely new environment) if you do decide to take him along. Let us know what you decide!
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote