Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #1 
Enkil

HMPK Spawn Log

My pair:
Male - Yellow Dragon HMPK. Nice full 180 spread with sharp edges. Fins have a light mint green edging.
Female - Conchenn. Yellow marble HMPK. Full 180 spread with nice edges. Base color is a light yellow. Brighter yellow spot between eyes. Has very light mint green patches on body and fins. Also has a couple of dark blood red spots on tail and dorsal (no red has spread to her body or anal fin).

My spawn tank:
Live plants - java moss (quite a lot), 4 stems of water wisteria, good sized floating anubias.
Tank size - 10 gal
Heater - For 10 gal. Fully submersible. Adjustable. Set to 82*F.
Hood - Hood with lights. Plastic wrap to cover holes and gaps.
Thermometer
Silk plant and fake grass like plant.
2 hiding decorations.

My other half bought me several new fry food culters as my anniversary gift. XD Loving him for it. So I now have MW, WW, and BBS.

This is my spawn tank (pics from when I last set it up will take new ones tomorrow):

And a pic of the male. He does not flare for pics.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #2 
KadenJames

IMHO, I'd be weary using that yellow ball decoration. Once the chasing starts, the female tends to bounce off of anything and everything in the tank. It looks very rough-edged, and could cause some serious damage if she were to ram into it.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #3 
Enkil

I had it in there the last time I spawned these two and she avoided it. However, I do see your point so I will likely take it out in the morning and search about my "collection" for something to replace it with. Shouldn't be hard to do really. Already have one in mind.

Last time, Conchenn tended to use the java moss for resting and hiding. She found that if she darted her way to the top near the surface, he wont follow her. He'll stare at her for a while, but wont follow.

I'm hoping he makes a good bubble nest like he did the last time. It was huge and well made. Right up in the front corner of the tank. We'll see.

She's nice and plump with eggs. Both have been on a diet of NLS betta pellets, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen mosquito larvae. He has a bubble nest built in his 5 gal. I let them see each other a few minutes about twice a day. They both show signs of being ready.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Good luck. Hope you get a big spawn
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 
tpocicat

Best of luck with your new spawn.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #6 
Enkil

Thank you both.

I had put them in the spawn tank this afternoon when we returned from the vet...
However, I had to remove them. We had the power go out. The temp in the spawn tank was quickly reaching 100! They both seemed to be in distress. All of my fish except for Uther and Frost )who were both quite happy with the extra heat...) were moved into 1 gallon jars/show tanks and taken to a cooler part of the house. We were without power for quite some time.
While we wait to hear back from the power company as to the cause (there was an absolutely huge area effected), I will be putting the spawn off for a day or two. All fish are now back in their tanks with fans cooling them to 82*F except my HM tank which is cooled to 78*F (Leo seems to stress at 80+). My Hm tank heater is set for 78 in the event it cools during the night while the rest are set to 82. Once the insanely hot weather is done, I will slowly bring them all back to 78.