Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #11 
teeneythebetta

Who is this lady you got him from?
Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like a back yard breeder...
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #12 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Who is this lady you got him from?
Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like a back yard breeder...
Actually, sounds like a pretty good breeder! Backyard breeders don't care about their pups at all. This one is going to help with training and will take the pup back if necessary. THAT is a sign of a good breeder.

You say the surgery was on Fenris' tummy? Did he have un-descended testicles? I only know about Cat neuters and usually only the sacs are involved unless they need to go thru the belly for an un-descended testicle. That is a more invasive surgery much like a spay and would take longer to recover.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #13 
tpocicat

Wow, I've never had such problems when I've had my dogs neutered.
I once had a male cat neutered and he had on that hadn't distended, so I had to pay more for the vet to do surgery to find it and remove it. He had to wear a cone of shame too because he took all his stiches out and when I went to check on his stiches, I saw way more of my cat than I wanted to. The vet then sutured him up on the inside (don't know how she did that) so he couldn't reach them again. After that he healed up nicely.
I hope the same for your little guy. I don't have any idea why he is having the personality changes however.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #14 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Actually, sounds like a pretty good breeder! Backyard breeders don't care about their pups at all. This one is going to help with training and will take the pup back if necessary. THAT is a sign of a good breeder.

You say the surgery was on Fenris' tummy? Did he have un-descended testicles? I only know about Cat neuters and usually only the sacs are involved unless they need to go thru the belly for an un-descended testicle. That is a more invasive surgery much like a spay and would take longer to recover.
I see what you are saying.
It just reminded me of my grandma's dog.. My grandma picked an obviously back yard breeder... The puppy came down with mange shortly after bringing her home... The breeder said she would take the puppy back and give her a new one...

No genetic health testing came with my grandma's pup, just some lady that though AKC meant well bred, which is totally incorrect.

But every situation is different. :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #15 
Enkil

My pup has papers. I met the breeder and her family along with all the dogs who are all family raised. I had to sign a contract to get Fenris. He is worth a good chunk of money but they were kind enough to let me get him for less than what he is worth because he was to be used as my psychiatric service dog.

The issues he was having with his tummy and groin are are like a puppy version of acne. It's a slight bacterial infection that can happen with pups up to a year old. The antibiotics have cleared it up now, thankfully.
Both were descended so it was a pretty standard neuter. His reaction to it is what has not been normal. I have owned dogs for quite a long time. I grew up with them from birth. I've only ever been around 2 that weren't neutered (a Doby I was raised with and an American bulldog-wolf hybrid I raised and homed with a family). This is the first time I have had a dog react like this. He has become snappy and fights with me over everything. He through a fit this morning and I had to pin him. In the process, he tore up my arms and legs. Not too long ago, had to do the same again. This time, when I let him up, he tried to bite my face....
Fenris has not bitten me before today since shortly after my bringing him home. He also bit my daughter last night. He has never done this before. He was of sound temperament before the neutering. It was a good breeding of two very sound dogs. None of the other pups are having these problems. The lady I bought him from and I have both come to the same conclusion: It is some kind of reaction to the neutering.
This is why she has made the offer she has. We are giving him a month to see if it is residual hormones and he is just going through a kind of false puberty. I'm having patience with him and continuing to work with him to see if we can work past this.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #16 
tpocicat

My prayers are with you and Fenris *hugs*
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #17 
Enkil

*hugs* Thank you.

I really appreciate that they have offered to help me through this. It's one of the reasons that I bought from them.
I have put a lot of time and effort into his training. He is fantastic with several commands: sit, down, up, speak, paw, over (rolls onto side), watch me, wait and go (used for food and water so he doesn't spill, wait has him sit patiently while go lets him go to his bowls). Have been working on stay and walking on a leash with the proper manners (had to get him a gentle leader after the neuter he started pulling more).
Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #18 
tpocicat

I had a thought *rare I know* could it be he is acting out because of the pain medication he hates to take? Just a thought.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #19 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkil View Post
Lady I bought him from thinks that he may have been hit by a bit of depression once the cone was off and he noticed things were missing.

Now I am having completely different troubles. Since the neuter, he has been behaving... Unlike himself. Biting and acting out. Things have gotten even worse today. I'm not really sure what to do about it...
I've done all the usual things. I have pinned him. I have bit his ear. Slapped his butt. Done positive reinforcement. Exercise. None of it is working. So I'm talking to the lady I bought him from. She and her husband are going to give me ideas as we go along. If he doesn't straighten out within a month, I will be sending him to them for a kind of puppy boot-camp. If it comes to that, I will pay for any of his food/expenses while he's there. Also, if it comes to that and it doesn't work, she has offered to take him pack and give me a new pup. I love my Fenris and hope it doesn't come to that. However, if some of his behaviors don't change... I will have no choice.
how old is he now? they do go through phases where they tend to push the limits, he is nearing that age, called the teenage phase lol and they can be a handful. Please dont pin him, its called an alpha roll and it is not based in science, it is actually based on faulty science and the only time dogs pin each other outside of play is to kill. It can be a very anxiety inducing act. Dont bite or slap his butt. Stick with one method, just one, and IMO use positive reinforcement. You may have to go back to basics with him. Are you providing mental stimulation as well as physical exercise? They do need both and it will help. I would recommend getting some work to eat toys and feeding him his meals out of those and not out of a bowl. Work on training in small, short, fun sessions throughout the day. I would also recommend against sending him to the breeder for doggy boot camp, he will learn to behave for someone else at someone else's house. Dogs dont generalize so there is no guarentee that he will behave well at your place when coming home and there is no guarentee that the people wont use a damaging training method which will just hurt your relationship. I highly recommend looking into doggy zen exercises that help teach a dog self control and how to relax.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #20 
Enkil

I am a vet student and have studied animal behavior. I am sorry, but I know that the pinning method works. I have used it before and have seen dogs do it outside of play. Mother dogs do it to pups who overstep the boundaries. I know that biting their ear works. I have both used it and seen it used. Again, mother dogs do the same thing to pups.

Fenris is 6 months old. The neutering could have triggered a false puberty. Doing positive reinforcement but being firm with him.

Been looking for toys that you put food/treats in and the dog has to work to get them out... Only, finding one he wont destroy within the first day is hard. He demolishes hard chews like they are nothing. He gets rolled pig skins and they just don't last. He destroys all his toys. Even ones that are supposed to last.
So I do search and find with little treats and bits of his kibbles. He seems to enjoy our little game and I always try to hide them in new places.