Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #1 
Bacon Is Good

Michael Phelps

I know I will get bashed on this but I`m okay with it so here we go.

I think that Michael Phelps is not within the top 100 olympian athletes(I know everybody is going *GASP* but you heard me right), I mean seriously how hard is it to swim in a strait line when his only real compatition is Ryan Lochte. The reason he has 22 medals 18 of them gold is because he only has to beat Ryan when he races him wich is not that often, In reality he has no compation when he dosen`t race Lochte. I am not trying to take away from what he does but I am saying what is the thruth. I have heard he is an incredibley nice but that doesn`t mean he is one of the top 100.
Bacon Is Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #2 
Laki

He'd win gold every time with me bc I can't swim fast enough to save my life. I can only swim 25m lanes and I bet only fast enough to get away from zombies. I don't watch the olympics bc I just don't have the time but I'm happy for him I guess. The olympics are a big deal to many people.
**off topic**...I watched the opening ceremonies and LOVED when Mr Bean came out!
Laki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #3 
Bacon Is Good

Hahaha

I know people love the olympics thats why I said I will get bashed.
Bacon Is Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #4 
MollyJean

*chants* Will not bash.. will not bash..
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

It takes a lot of dedication, training and hard work to do what Michael Phelps does.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #6 
MollyJean

I think Haley Graham had it right in Stick It.

"That's sixteen judges ready to tell us just how badly we suck. Sixteen people ready to tell us just how perfect we're not. But here we are chasing perfection. The problem is, perfection doesn't exist. But just try telling that to the judges. It doesn't matter how hard we run or how high we flip. Leave your hands on the vault table too long, deduction. If you use one arm instead of two, big deduction. And if your feet clip the vault before they hit the floor, you're done. So you say you want lyrics in your floor music…haha… huge deduction. The music finishes but you don't, two tenth deduction. It doesn't matter how well you do. It's how well you follow their rules. And that just blows."

No one's perfect, but Phelps is one of my hero's. He's worked hard and done more then most at what he loves (and something I love as well) and he's got the medals to prove it. There are not many people in the world who can hold themselves to the high standards of professional athletes. They are judges by everyone. Both Phelps and Lochte are very good at what they do. I'd place them both in the top 100 based on their athletic skills, though I do believe that Lochte can improve. He needs work on his long stroke and butterfly. And more distance training. Phelps has the stamina and burst speed for the short swims and freestyle, but relies on his legs too much for the backstroke. So they both have areas were they need improvement. Which is why they rarely compete against each other, they prefer different events.. they literally swim in different circles >.> (Sorry, had to)

If it comes down to records, Phelps has broken and currently holds more world records then Lochte and even though they don't swim against each other often, they are always competing against each other where the records are concerned.. and Phelps is winning, there.

I think, when a person has no competition except one person, it means they're one of the best.. right? But I'm curious, why do you think he rates so low if there is only one person (in your opinion) better then him?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #7 
Meggie6347

Swimming is a lot harder of a sport than people give it credit for. There are so many people who join the swim team because they think it's going to be easy, and then they die on the first 50
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #8 
MollyJean

No kidding. After I had my daughter I gave up on swimming as a sport. It takes practice every single day, summer, winter, weekends, to get to the level Phelps and Lochte have reached. Wanting to compare them is natural, but I have a lot of respect for both, and anyone else who puts in the time, effort and commitment to do what those two have done. No matter what the sport.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #9 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Anyone who can do the breast stroke and butterfly TWICE across an Olympic size swimming pool is amazing IMO.

He just happens to be the best at it this time (again).
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #10 
TheCrabbyTabby

Bacon, unless you have 22 Olympic medals under your belt, I don't want to hear you complain.

Swimming competitively literally dominates one's life. They get up before the sun and practically almost swim all day and well into the night. They take breaks throughout the day to carb up, rest and then its back into the pool for yet more swimming. They don't have time for anything else in their lives. Its basically, eat, sleep, swim for them.

How do I know this? My kid brother used to swim for MAC, where Ricky Barons once swam, and in fact swam against him. Ricky was out of the pool and drying off before my brother finished, but he did try his best. Too bad my brother was a 14 year old 5 foot bean pole at the time. Shortest swimmer for his age in his group. He eventually got discouraged and so tired at school, from having swim practice in the wee hours of the morning before class, that he quit.

Swimmers like Phelps are phenomenal and should be recognized for their amazing efforts.

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 08-05-2012 at 08:52 PM.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote