Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 
heythereitsv

Fin rot?

I just noticed my betta has mild fin rot, after looking through some pictures of him taken a month ago, and comparing them to him now. I immediately did a 40% water change (5 gallon tank, cycled, filtered, and unheated for now, as summer temperatures outside are enough to keep the tank at 77-82 all the time, but I do have a heater for winter months).

Before that, I ran a test on the water, Ammonia was 0ppm, Nitrate is close to 0ppm (I think it was 1-2), and Nitrite was 0ppm. I did find something though- there was some plant growing in my aquarium. It was this odd kind of stringy green thing. I think it might've been from the previous aquarium that seeded this one (when I cycled the tank, I used the seeding method from a friend's tank). I removed it, as I didn't really know what else to do with it, and I don't really want any kind of plant in my aquarium.

Did the plant cause the fin rot? If so, how should I treat it?
heythereitsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Are you sure it's fin rot? He might be tail biting. Plants don't cause rot and if there's no ammonia, it can't be fin rot. Tail biting looks like a crescent shaped mark in the tail.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #3 
heythereitsv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Are you sure it's fin rot? He might be tail biting. Plants don't cause rot and if there's no ammonia, it can't be fin rot. Tail biting looks like a crescent shaped mark in the tail.
Don't think it was tailbiting. I glance over to his tank every 15 minutes or so, and I've never seen him tailbiting. Besides, no crescent shaped marks, and he doesn't seem stressed. Here's a picture-

http://f.cl.ly/items/2K3j3d1u2r0h3f3...803_125249.jpg

Sorry for the crap quality, I had to take this on my phone since mom has the good camera, and she's out of town :P But compare it to my avatar picture, that was taken a month or two ago. And I was thinking that there might've been some kind of harmful bacteria that was carried along with the plant that was carried along from the other tank.

Other than what looks like fin rot, he seems like a perfectly healthy little guy. Comes up to eat, even tries to snatch pellets from my fingers by kind of jumping up during feeding time :D

EDIT: Sorry, I had to remove the picture from the post, it looked HUGE. Linked you to it instead.

Last edited by heythereitsv; 08-03-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: linked to picture instead
Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Looks like tail biting. Some cases look like those. Some Bettas bite their tail when you're not looking.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #5 
heythereitsv

Quote:
Looks like tail biting. Some cases look like those. Some Bettas bite their tail when you're not looking.
Really? I mean, he doesn't even know I see him... anyway, how do I remedy this? It's not as if I can put that little cone thing that vets put on dogs to prevent themselves from biting/licking a wound/injection spot lol.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Yep. The main causes of tail biting are stress and boredom. Does he have enough decorations? Does your tank have a light? Or maybe he just misses you. You have to find the cause because he'll just keep on biting even if you treated him.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #7 
heythereitsv

Quote:
Yep. The main causes of tail biting are stress and boredom. Does he have enough decorations? Does your tank have a light? Or maybe he just misses you. You have to find the cause because he'll just keep on biting even if you treated him.
He has a little crab decoration friend, a long fake plant that extends the length of the tank (he likes hiding in it), another fake plant that's really for my pleasure, and I make sure to leave a little bit of space between the unused heater and glass so he can swim there when he doesn't feel comfortable hiding in the fake plant. Oh and a question that's somewhat related- is it safe to put a glazed coffee mug in as a decoration? It'd look cool, and serve as another hiding place for him. I'm afraid it'd be toxic though.

There is an incandescent bulb that I leave on for most of the day, just to heat up the tank a little bit, and for easier viewing.

I think he's missed me a bit, since I did have summer school, and was out from 6.40AM-4PM (from my room at least), and I did have to alter his feeding schedule because of that. Usually, I'd feed him 2 pellets at noon, and 2 at around midnight (coincidentally, breakfast and dinner for me too! xD), and then I had to switch to 2 at 6AM, and 2 at ~10PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Hm. You mean ceramic coffee mugs? Those are great, some members use those. Does the bulb appear to be too bright? Since you already have a heater, I don't suggest the light. When I had school, (It's summer break) I left him. He never bit his tail, though.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #9 
heythereitsv

Quote:
Hm. You mean ceramic coffee mugs? Those are great, some members use those. Does the bulb appear to be too bright? Since you already have a heater, I don't suggest the light. When I had school, (It's summer break) I left him. He never bit his tail, though.
Yeah! How do I tell if they're ceramic/nontoxic though? I have a few coffee mugs that my mom and dad have had for years, and they don't really want them anymore.

And it doesn't seem too bright... but the reason why I don't keep the heater on is because in summer months, the water hits 75-80 consistently; I only use the light to bring it to an even more optimal temperature (I've heard that 78-82 is optimal), and the heater brings it up to a harmful 84.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Wait, the mugs have been washed with soap? Then I wouldn't use them.