Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #1 
Mandy204

Confirming this is fin rot

Hello. I came home from work today and found my guy's fins are looking really bad. I'm pretty sure it's fin rot. I changed his water and added aquarium salt and stress coat. I just wanted to double check that it is in fact fin rot, and that I'm doing what I should for my little guy.
http://emob820.photobucket.com/album...g?t=1343425846
http://emob820.photobucket.com/album...g?t=1343425851
Mandy204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #2 
Mandy204

I'm sorry I forgot to answer the questions.
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank?78
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?Hbh Betta bites
How often do you feed your betta fish?2xday, 3 and 2

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?every 2 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?approx 30% every other day and 100% once a week. 100% every day now that he is sick.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Normally water conditioner. Also now, aquarium salts and stress coat
.Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?his fins are all falling apart but I don't see any red or black. I do think I see some sort of light grey or clear color.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It has not changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms?I thought that hid find looked a bit different yesterday but wasn't sure. Then today, it is obvious.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?Salts and stress coat and water change 100%
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only had him 2 weeks.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #3 
Tazo

I'm not 100% sure if it is fin rot or not, especially since it happened pretty suddenly.
Is it at all possible that his tail got caught in the filter intake and torn?

Whatever the case may be, you're doing everything possible to help him, so good on you! I'm just not sure HOW he would have gotten fin rot, since it seems like you're keeping the water pretty pristine.
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #4 
Kenny G

I also do not believe it's fin rot. It looks more like he is a tail-biting to me. Usually tail-biting is caused by stress. First thing stop the 100% water changes every day. This is extremely stressful on the little guy. A new environment, boredom ,bright lights, and no place to feel safe, or a place where he can hide to relieve stress. These are some of the things that will stress your betta out. I don't know if your tank has decorations if you do try moving things around. He will need a place to go where he can feel safe away from all eyes. You can up a cup in tank for starters. It's good your using stress coat but try to figure out the stress factors. Also once you have his tank set up for him to be comfortable put him someplace with dim light and let him rest.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #5 
Mandy204

I'm not sure if his tail went into the filter uptake. How can I be sure? He has a log to hide in and plenty of plants.
http://emob820.photobucket.com/album...g?t=1343015885
Also, I change around his plants when I change the water. I will turn the light off. I was wondering as well how he would have fin rot since I keep his water clean? I have not done the 100% water changes every day yet. This is the first day that I've seen him like this. Normally, I only do a 100% change once a week. So I should NOT change his water tomorrow??
I've had him for just over 2 weeks.
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #6 
Mandy204

Another picture.
http://emob820.photobucket.com/album...g?t=1343435909
Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #7 
KevinPham123

Wait another day or 2, if it gets worst, you could probably rule out fin rot. Leaving you with your fish is a tail biter or it really does get too close to the filter. And if thats the case, turn of the filter for a few days, see if it makes a difference.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #8 
Mandy204

Ok. Change the water everyday though? Or not? Add the salt and stress coat? Or wait the day or 2 and do nothing? And see what happens? If it gets worse, it isn't fin rot?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #9 
Kenny G

Depending on when you did your last water change I would not do it yet. After re-reading your first post for your betta with no tank-mates you only need to do water changes once a week and about 30%. I would suggest more water changes but its not necessary because you have a filter and live plants. I am really starting to believe its tail-biting caused by stress. Move him to a dimly lit room and monitor his behavior and continue with the stress coat. If your LPS has almond leaves put one in his tank to reduce stress.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #10 
Mandy204

It kind of looks like his fins are deteriorating between the little lines or ribby things on his fins (if that makes any sense). His back fin and tail fin. Bottom fin looks ok right now.